CBA talks to resume this evening (Updated)

Dec 6, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT

Fehr-Bettman-Getty Getty Images

The NHL and NHLPA will resume CBA negotiations at 5 p.m. ET “at the earliest,” according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.

How long talks last is anyone’s guess. In less than 24 hours the mood in New York has been downgraded from cautiously optimistic to just cautious, if not downright glum.

True, every negotiation has its ups and downs, but for hockey fans (the ones still paying attention) it’s frustrating all the same.

The NHLPA has spent much of the day meeting internally and planning its response to the NHL. The union has also reportedly requested the return of federal mediators, which may say something about its confidence in convincing owners to move off their positions.

Meanwhile, the NHL isn’t so sure mediation is necessary.

This evening’s talks are also expected to mark the return of commissioner Gary Bettman and union chief Donald Fehr. The talks won’t, however, include any NHL owners.

Word of warning: If tonight goes poorly, keep in mind there will still be time to rescue the season.

Not much time. But some.

Update (5:42 p.m. ET): The meeting has started, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is not in the room. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr is present, along with Steve Fehr and some players, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and Bob Batterman are the only league representatives present, according to NHL.com writer Dan Rosen.

The NHLPA has a proposal to present to the league and ESPN’s Katie Strang reports that they plans to do so, despite the fact that Bettman isn’t there.

Related:

Oh good, now pensions are an issue in CBA negotiations

Max contract lengths, 10-year CBA top list of unresolved issues

1. mgp1219 - Dec 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Groundhog Day!

• thailer35 - Dec 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Seriously, it’s been the same old song and dance since September.

2. garrison1981 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM

This is beyond ridiculous!! All this money they keep arguing about may not be made if they keep arguing like little girls over a Barbie! Don’t forget without us fans there will be no revenue!! Get the F on the ice before you lose all of us!!

3. jaybird22seven - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

If Gary is involved everyone is wasting their time !!! He is such an asshole !!!

4. irokkit - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

See what I’m saying?

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Say what?

5. ion4014 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Anyone else notice that Donald Fehr kinda looks like Viggo from Ghostbusters 2?

• gallyhatch - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Hmmm, interesting theory, perhaps the lockout could have been avoided if not for the “Carpathian Kitten Loss” syndrome.

In all seriousness, I’m pretty surprised there’s only one Anti – Bettman / Fehr comment so far on this story.

According to a lot of the commenters on this site, they are to blame for all the NHL problems.

6. stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM

The problem is any time one side makes an offer and its not accepted or a couple days of talks happen without a deal, everyone (especially the hockey media) freak out and act like its the end of the world and the season is lost. Thats pretty pathetic since this is how negotiations work.

Over the last two days the sides have gotten closer, and a deal is far more likely right now then it was a week ago. Yet the mood has gotten worse. Why? That makes absolutely no sense. Sure the process gets harder the closer you get to a deal since no one wants to be the one to give that last inch, but thats no reason to act like all is lost.

Its actually a good thing that we are at the point where the sides are pretty much fighting over whos going to be the one to give that last little bit. Its a hard time in the process, but it means a deal can happen at any time.

• matt8204 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

You seriously think this is getting done? I doubt it.

• stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Of course a deal is getting done. The sides are not going to lose the season, and thus about $2.3 billion (for a 56 game season) , over such a small gulf between them. Both sides would lose far more if the season is lost then they would just accepting the deal currently on the table. So expect some more, perhaps hostile, fighting over the few inches of ground left to cover…. but a deal will be done and there will be a season.

• matt8204 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

They don’t sound very close. And we’re awful close to the edge here. If things blow up, it could be two weeks before they even sit down again…I just have a bad feeling.

• id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Only the players can get this deal done. Players got word of the terms via numerous news outlets and have been expressing their desire for a full membership vote. Just saying what I heard so don’t shot the messenger.

JoeyDumbfeld or GeneralLee1175@gmail.com

7. matt8204 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I’m tired of hearing about this. It’s comical at this point. When you guys figure this out, I’ll see if I feel like watching again.

• stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Of course you’re going to watch. How do I know? You are here commenting on pretty much every single lockout story there is. So don’t act like you’re not coming back once a deal is struck, because you never even left…

• matt8204 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

If I’m not totally embarrassed to support the league by that point.

8. stangz11 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Very interesting that even Bettman isn’t in attendance, wonder what that could mean?

9. id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Many players like the last offer, and many players have requested a vote because they believe they have lost enough. Daly and a rep from the law firm, big and little Fehr, legal counsel and players are meeting now. Bettman will join the meeting shortly in case they wish to close the deal.

10. grillmarks - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Daly just walked out of the meeting and wouldn’t answer questions. Said he doesn’t know if he’ll return…. whatever that means.

• stangz11 - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I’m reading that the meeting is over for now. Daly has taken the latest player offer to Bettman and owner’s still in NY for an internal meeting. No word on when/if they will meet again..

11. notsurewhy2 - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

12. deadrabbit79 - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Talks have broken off. Daly and Bettman back to NHL office to discuss next step

13. sportsfan69 - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Id4joey,

Did you listen to Thistel and Boomer earlier on Sirius NHL earlier? Boomer went off on the players. It was fU$cking great. If you have a chance, listen to it. He summed up it perfectly. If players don’t settle tonight, there will no season.

• id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I hope they have a little more time to settle this thing. Some REAL insiders are saying that they have until early jan to save the season. The more time the better. But, I agree with boom boom. It’s in the players hands. Owners sign the fat cheques, so they have the right to negotiate for better terms. It’s their one chance, whereas players negotiate when their contract is up, and yes, they try to get as much out of the owners wallet they can get. Fair is fair. Again, what bloody choice do the players have?

14. sportsfan69 - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I’m sorry for the typos/grammar? I’m in the gym.

15. cspsrbums - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Id4 shut the F up you just ramble over and over the same crap. Go away so people can post news worthy info. Players just give up everything just give up everything if that didn’t fight for something they would have lost a lot more then what they would if they didn’t fight that’s negotiating now shut up and let the process run its course without you and your f…ing voices in your head

16. muir6 - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Owners and Bettman so transparent, keep the weasel outta the room fold Phoenix and start playin

Top 10 NHL Player Searches