Dec 6, 2012, 4:43 PM EST
The NHL and NHLPA will resume CBA negotiations at 5 p.m. ET “at the earliest,” according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
How long talks last is anyone’s guess. In less than 24 hours the mood in New York has been downgraded from cautiously optimistic to just cautious, if not downright glum.
True, every negotiation has its ups and downs, but for hockey fans (the ones still paying attention) it’s frustrating all the same.
The NHLPA has spent much of the day meeting internally and planning its response to the NHL. The union has also reportedly requested the return of federal mediators, which may say something about its confidence in convincing owners to move off their positions.
Meanwhile, the NHL isn’t so sure mediation is necessary.
Bill Daly told me the NHL has not agreed to a mediator yet and has "no idea" why a mediator is needed "at this point in time."—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) December 06, 2012
This evening’s talks are also expected to mark the return of commissioner Gary Bettman and union chief Donald Fehr. The talks won’t, however, include any NHL owners.
Word of warning: If tonight goes poorly, keep in mind there will still be time to rescue the season.
Not much time. But some.
Update (5:42 p.m. ET): The meeting has started, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is not in the room. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr is present, along with Steve Fehr and some players, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and Bob Batterman are the only league representatives present, according to NHL.com writer Dan Rosen.
The NHLPA has a proposal to present to the league and ESPN’s Katie Strang reports that they plans to do so, despite the fact that Bettman isn’t there.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)