Dec 5, 2012, 8:45 AM EST
It’s a mid-week, inter-conference battle deep in the heart of the northeast that sees an ECAC team favored over a Hockey East team.
University of Vermont (3-7-3) @ No. 10 Dartmouth College (6-2-2) — 7:00 p.m. ET
Dartmouth started off the year unbeaten in their first six but in their next four games have won just just once and drawing twice. They’ve gotten outstanding goaltending from junior Cab Morris (1.97 GAA, .917 SV%) and steady scoring from sophomore Tyler Sikura (6 goals, 9 assists) but the real story is how good they’ve been killing penalties.
The Big Green PK has given up just one power play goal all season, killing off 35 of 36 penalties through 10 games. While those kinds of numbers are seemingly unsustainable, they’re doing something right to keep opponents off the board. Coach Bob Gaudet has his team beating the odds so far having the team ranked in the NCAA top ten.
As for Vermont, things haven’t gone quite so smoothly. They’re off to a tough start but, unlike last season, they’re playing with a lot of heart. After a three-point weekend against Maine this past weekend and valiant efforts being swept by No. 5 Minnesota, the Catamounts are scrappy.
Senior forward Chris McCarthy is doing his part to lead the offence with four goals and six assists while it’s freshman goalie Brody Hoffman who has shouldered the load in net playing all but 35 minutes worth of ice time in goal this season. Some of that scrappy play tonight might come in handy against a Dartmouth team that’s slipped of late.
The ECAC is off to a strong start, but piling up non-conference wins is key to keeping up appearances for the league.
NHL prospects to watch
If you’re eyeing guys who have been drafted, you’ll want to keep your eyes peeled on Vermont. Sophomore defenseman Michael Paliotta is a Blackhawks prospect and he does most of his work setting others up (four assists) and mixing things up (24 PIM). Fellow sophomore blue liner Nick Luukko is a Flyers draftee (his father Peter is a heavy hitter with Comcast and the Flyers organization) and junior forward Connor Brickley (Florida) is the nephew of Bruins broadcaster Andy Brickley. Nice roots there.
As for Dartmouth, they’ve got but one draftee in senior forward Dustin Walsh, a Montreal prospect. With two goals and four assists so far this season, he’s worth keeping an eye on. The undrafted Sikura as well as forwards Eric Robinson, Matt Lindblad, and Brandon McNally should help spice up the DC attack.
(Photo: Dartmouth Sports)
Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Patrick Marleau spoiled it.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Kings captain was suspended in April.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Not slacking off following that contract extension.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Toronto won 2-1 (SO).
Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
His Goal of the Year entry …
Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
They beat Calgary 3-2 in OT.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Mike Yeo on Minnesota: “We stunk.”
Dec 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Maybe not an ideal trade-off.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Blue Jackets with a rare blown third period lead.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Tough break for Z-Bad.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
He might have suffered it blocking a shot.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
It would be a sixth-rounder in 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
Phoenix is still pretty banged up, though.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
George McPhee’s also glad Brayden Schenn isn’t injured.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
He drew criticism for hitting Brayden Schenn Tuesday.
Dec 19, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Is there a lack of respect among players in the NHL?
Dec 19, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
USA versus Russia on Feb. 15 (7:30 a.m. ET, on NBCSN).
Dec 19, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Weather forecast is looking good.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)