Dec 5, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle and star Sidney Crosby acted as important “voices of reason” during Tuesday’s CBA meetings, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.
Despite their shared urge to end the lockout, Rossi reports that Burkle and Crosby aren’t willing to break ranks with their sides altogether. Instead, the goal is to find common ground so that they can strike a deal.
If attempting to do so ruffles some feathers, both Burkle and Crosby indicated it would still be worth the risk.
In addition to the peace-keeping efforts from Burkle and Crosby, Penguins icon/co-owner Mario Lemieux, CEO David Morehouse and Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson have also been trying to work something out this week.
Specifically, Rossi reports that Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux privately discussed ways to find labor peace for weeks and Lemieux has also been brainstorming with figures such as Steve Yzerman.
The two sides still have work to do, yet many might wonder how much credit the Penguins (and especially Crosby) deserves. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski, for one, writes that “there’s no question [Crosby] deserves credit thus far for his effort.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)