Dec 5, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle and star Sidney Crosby acted as important “voices of reason” during Tuesday’s CBA meetings, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.
Despite their shared urge to end the lockout, Rossi reports that Burkle and Crosby aren’t willing to break ranks with their sides altogether. Instead, the goal is to find common ground so that they can strike a deal.
If attempting to do so ruffles some feathers, both Burkle and Crosby indicated it would still be worth the risk.
In addition to the peace-keeping efforts from Burkle and Crosby, Penguins icon/co-owner Mario Lemieux, CEO David Morehouse and Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson have also been trying to work something out this week.
Specifically, Rossi reports that Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux privately discussed ways to find labor peace for weeks and Lemieux has also been brainstorming with figures such as Steve Yzerman.
The two sides still have work to do, yet many might wonder how much credit the Penguins (and especially Crosby) deserves. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski, for one, writes that “there’s no question [Crosby] deserves credit thus far for his effort.”
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)