Dec 5, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle and star Sidney Crosby acted as important “voices of reason” during Tuesday’s CBA meetings, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.
Despite their shared urge to end the lockout, Rossi reports that Burkle and Crosby aren’t willing to break ranks with their sides altogether. Instead, the goal is to find common ground so that they can strike a deal.
If attempting to do so ruffles some feathers, both Burkle and Crosby indicated it would still be worth the risk.
In addition to the peace-keeping efforts from Burkle and Crosby, Penguins icon/co-owner Mario Lemieux, CEO David Morehouse and Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson have also been trying to work something out this week.
Specifically, Rossi reports that Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux privately discussed ways to find labor peace for weeks and Lemieux has also been brainstorming with figures such as Steve Yzerman.
The two sides still have work to do, yet many might wonder how much credit the Penguins (and especially Crosby) deserves. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski, for one, writes that “there’s no question [Crosby] deserves credit thus far for his effort.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)