Dec 5, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle and star Sidney Crosby acted as important “voices of reason” during Tuesday’s CBA meetings, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.
Despite their shared urge to end the lockout, Rossi reports that Burkle and Crosby aren’t willing to break ranks with their sides altogether. Instead, the goal is to find common ground so that they can strike a deal.
If attempting to do so ruffles some feathers, both Burkle and Crosby indicated it would still be worth the risk.
In addition to the peace-keeping efforts from Burkle and Crosby, Penguins icon/co-owner Mario Lemieux, CEO David Morehouse and Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson have also been trying to work something out this week.
Specifically, Rossi reports that Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux privately discussed ways to find labor peace for weeks and Lemieux has also been brainstorming with figures such as Steve Yzerman.
The two sides still have work to do, yet many might wonder how much credit the Penguins (and especially Crosby) deserves. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski, for one, writes that “there’s no question [Crosby] deserves credit thus far for his effort.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)