Dec 5, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Banska has been in the news of late thanks to its aggressive pursuit of locked-out NHLers. The team first agreed to a deal with San Jose Sharks forward Michal Handzus two weeks ago, then inked Minnesota defenseman Clayton Stoner and Pittsburgh forward Tanner Glass within the last 14 days.
Tyrell, 23, is another nice addition for the Slovak club, though he did fall on hard times during the 2011-12 campaign after posting career highs (78 games, 6G-9A-15PTS) in 2010-11.
He missed the final 35 games of last season with an ACL injury in his right knee, the second major knee injury of his career (he suffered similar ligament damage prior to the 2009 World Juniors while playing an exhibition game for Team Canada.)
That said, the Lightning though enough of Tyrell’s game to sign him to a two-year, $1.2 million deal last season, one that will keep him in Tampa Bay through 2014.
Lightning head coach Guy Boucher said what Tyrell brings to the ice is vital to his team’s success.
“I strongly believe that any team that does well has a lot of good foot soldiers, and he’s definitely one of those guys,” Boucher told the Lightning website. “People will label players as a hitter, a fighter, a scorer or a passer. There’s one type of individual we never label and they are puck retrievers. They’re probably the most important guys in the game.
“That’s what [Tyrell] does best. If he’s not able to play, it’s less pucks for the team, for sure.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 27
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)