Dec 5, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
Alexander Burmistrov‘s upper-body injury might be serious, or it might be nothing.
Either way, the Jets aren’t taking any chances.
On Tuesday, Burmistrov was summoned back to Winnipeg from AHL St. John’s to be evaluated by the Jets’ medical staff — here’s more, from Ed Tait at the Winnipeg Free Press:
The extent of the injury is not known, but an IceCaps spokesman said Tuesday night that with a four-day break in the schedule before the club returns to the ice again Friday night in St. John’s against Springfield, the team opted to have Burmistrov checked out by the Jets medical staff.
Burmistrov’s arrival in Winnipeg became public when he used his Instagram account to post a picture of his airline ticket here.
The 21-year-old Russian has been mediocre during his first-ever stint in the American league. While he’s managed to appear in all 22 games, he’s only posted 2G-9A-11PTS — though, to be fair, the IceCaps aren’t exactly an offensive juggernaut.
St. John’s leading scorers are Spencer Machacek (13 points), Derek Meech (13 points) and Jason Jaffray (12 points), and the team has scored the seventh-fewest goals in the AHL this season.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)