Dec 5, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
Alexander Burmistrov‘s upper-body injury might be serious, or it might be nothing.
Either way, the Jets aren’t taking any chances.
On Tuesday, Burmistrov was summoned back to Winnipeg from AHL St. John’s to be evaluated by the Jets’ medical staff — here’s more, from Ed Tait at the Winnipeg Free Press:
The extent of the injury is not known, but an IceCaps spokesman said Tuesday night that with a four-day break in the schedule before the club returns to the ice again Friday night in St. John’s against Springfield, the team opted to have Burmistrov checked out by the Jets medical staff.
Burmistrov’s arrival in Winnipeg became public when he used his Instagram account to post a picture of his airline ticket here.
The 21-year-old Russian has been mediocre during his first-ever stint in the American league. While he’s managed to appear in all 22 games, he’s only posted 2G-9A-11PTS — though, to be fair, the IceCaps aren’t exactly an offensive juggernaut.
St. John’s leading scorers are Spencer Machacek (13 points), Derek Meech (13 points) and Jason Jaffray (12 points), and the team has scored the seventh-fewest goals in the AHL this season.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)