Dec 5, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is actually enjoying his time in the KHL with Barys Astana in Kazakhstan.
Hedman tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times his time away in the Russian pro league has been great and should help him when the NHL comes back.
“A great experience,” Hedman said by phone. “I’ve been playing a lot and developing my game. I’m very happy I chose to come here, and I’m very eager to get back to Tampa and prove I’ve gotten better as a player.”
That’s great news for the Lightning as they’re banking heavily on Hedman eventually being their No. 1 defenseman. In 21 games he has no goals but 18 assists. That’s getting the job done.
That said, it’s not all glitz and glamour in Kazakhstan. The one glaring exception to his great time abroad? The local menu where horse is a delicacy.
“It’s disgusting,” Hedman said. “It was chewy. It’s tough to explain what it tastes like.”
Wild guess on what it tastes like? Dog food. Yikes. Who says playing in a foreign country isn’t glamorous?
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 2
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)