Dec 5, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is actually enjoying his time in the KHL with Barys Astana in Kazakhstan.
Hedman tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times his time away in the Russian pro league has been great and should help him when the NHL comes back.
“A great experience,” Hedman said by phone. “I’ve been playing a lot and developing my game. I’m very happy I chose to come here, and I’m very eager to get back to Tampa and prove I’ve gotten better as a player.”
That’s great news for the Lightning as they’re banking heavily on Hedman eventually being their No. 1 defenseman. In 21 games he has no goals but 18 assists. That’s getting the job done.
That said, it’s not all glitz and glamour in Kazakhstan. The one glaring exception to his great time abroad? The local menu where horse is a delicacy.
“It’s disgusting,” Hedman said. “It was chewy. It’s tough to explain what it tastes like.”
Wild guess on what it tastes like? Dog food. Yikes. Who says playing in a foreign country isn’t glamorous?
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 22
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 16
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 49
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 92
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)