Dec 5, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is actually enjoying his time in the KHL with Barys Astana in Kazakhstan.
Hedman tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times his time away in the Russian pro league has been great and should help him when the NHL comes back.
“A great experience,” Hedman said by phone. “I’ve been playing a lot and developing my game. I’m very happy I chose to come here, and I’m very eager to get back to Tampa and prove I’ve gotten better as a player.”
That’s great news for the Lightning as they’re banking heavily on Hedman eventually being their No. 1 defenseman. In 21 games he has no goals but 18 assists. That’s getting the job done.
That said, it’s not all glitz and glamour in Kazakhstan. The one glaring exception to his great time abroad? The local menu where horse is a delicacy.
“It’s disgusting,” Hedman said. “It was chewy. It’s tough to explain what it tastes like.”
Wild guess on what it tastes like? Dog food. Yikes. Who says playing in a foreign country isn’t glamorous?
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)