Dec 5, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux resumed skating on Wednesday, his first foray onto the ice since suffering a neck injury while playing in Germany three weeks ago.
Needless to say, he was pleased with the development.
“I’m doing better, but it’s a process and I need to understand that,” Giroux told the Ottawa Citizen. “[Tuesday] was my first day back in the gym and today was just a little skate, some flow drills and stuff.
“It was good, and hopefully, it keeps getting better.”
Giroux skated for 90 minutes with the Carleton Ravens (a Canadian University squad, in Ottawa) and a handful of fellow locked-out NHLers. It was a noteworthy step in his recovery, especially given how cautious he and the Flyers were in treating the initial injury.
Shortly after getting hurt — Giroux was elbowed in the neck and shoulder while playing for the Berlin Polar Bears in mid-November — he was dispatched to Atlanta to visit with clinical neurologist Dr. Ted Carrick, famous for his post-concussion work on Sidney Crosby.
Giroux’s agent, Pat Brisson, said there was no concern about Giroux having possibly suffered a concussion and that the Carrick visit was purely precautionary.
But Giroux does have a history with head injuries, having been sidelined twice by concussions during his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
As such, he’s quick to point out he’s not back to full health just yet.
“Obviously, I’m doing something every day to make sure I get back in game shape,” he explained. “I still have some things to make sure I’m 100 per cent.”
Apr 26, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
That’s a fairly modest increase compared to some of the jumps we’ve seen in the past.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
He has every right to be.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Montreal will now play either Detroit or Tampa Bay.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Oshie thinks the core has “been playing some pretty good games since the playoffs.”
Apr 26, 2015, 7:42 PM EDT
Montreal had a 1-0 lead at the time.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
They got a big task ahead of them.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Habs and Wild look to advance with Game 6 wins.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Minnesota’s earned the right to challenge Chicago again.
Apr 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
He’ll undergo further testing in the not too distant future.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Brian Elliott is on in relief.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
That’s one Allen has to have.
Apr 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He suffered two concussions this season.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The newly appointed Edmonton executive is already busy in his new role.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Eric Fehr would be ready for the second round.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Philly fired Craig Berube on April 17.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He last played at the 2006 tournament.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play the second half of Friday night’s win.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Chorney and Dumoulin could also head back to Wilkes-Barre for their playoff run.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He’s been a healthy scratch for three games.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Blues and Sens need wins to force Game 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)