Dec 5, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux resumed skating on Wednesday, his first foray onto the ice since suffering a neck injury while playing in Germany three weeks ago.
Needless to say, he was pleased with the development.
“I’m doing better, but it’s a process and I need to understand that,” Giroux told the Ottawa Citizen. “[Tuesday] was my first day back in the gym and today was just a little skate, some flow drills and stuff.
“It was good, and hopefully, it keeps getting better.”
Giroux skated for 90 minutes with the Carleton Ravens (a Canadian University squad, in Ottawa) and a handful of fellow locked-out NHLers. It was a noteworthy step in his recovery, especially given how cautious he and the Flyers were in treating the initial injury.
Shortly after getting hurt — Giroux was elbowed in the neck and shoulder while playing for the Berlin Polar Bears in mid-November — he was dispatched to Atlanta to visit with clinical neurologist Dr. Ted Carrick, famous for his post-concussion work on Sidney Crosby.
Giroux’s agent, Pat Brisson, said there was no concern about Giroux having possibly suffered a concussion and that the Carrick visit was purely precautionary.
But Giroux does have a history with head injuries, having been sidelined twice by concussions during his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
As such, he’s quick to point out he’s not back to full health just yet.
“Obviously, I’m doing something every day to make sure I get back in game shape,” he explained. “I still have some things to make sure I’m 100 per cent.”
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)