Dec 5, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux resumed skating on Wednesday, his first foray onto the ice since suffering a neck injury while playing in Germany three weeks ago.
Needless to say, he was pleased with the development.
“I’m doing better, but it’s a process and I need to understand that,” Giroux told the Ottawa Citizen. “[Tuesday] was my first day back in the gym and today was just a little skate, some flow drills and stuff.
“It was good, and hopefully, it keeps getting better.”
Giroux skated for 90 minutes with the Carleton Ravens (a Canadian University squad, in Ottawa) and a handful of fellow locked-out NHLers. It was a noteworthy step in his recovery, especially given how cautious he and the Flyers were in treating the initial injury.
Shortly after getting hurt — Giroux was elbowed in the neck and shoulder while playing for the Berlin Polar Bears in mid-November — he was dispatched to Atlanta to visit with clinical neurologist Dr. Ted Carrick, famous for his post-concussion work on Sidney Crosby.
Giroux’s agent, Pat Brisson, said there was no concern about Giroux having possibly suffered a concussion and that the Carrick visit was purely precautionary.
But Giroux does have a history with head injuries, having been sidelined twice by concussions during his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
As such, he’s quick to point out he’s not back to full health just yet.
“Obviously, I’m doing something every day to make sure I get back in game shape,” he explained. “I still have some things to make sure I’m 100 per cent.”
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)