Dec 5, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux resumed skating on Wednesday, his first foray onto the ice since suffering a neck injury while playing in Germany three weeks ago.
Needless to say, he was pleased with the development.
“I’m doing better, but it’s a process and I need to understand that,” Giroux told the Ottawa Citizen. “[Tuesday] was my first day back in the gym and today was just a little skate, some flow drills and stuff.
“It was good, and hopefully, it keeps getting better.”
Giroux skated for 90 minutes with the Carleton Ravens (a Canadian University squad, in Ottawa) and a handful of fellow locked-out NHLers. It was a noteworthy step in his recovery, especially given how cautious he and the Flyers were in treating the initial injury.
Shortly after getting hurt — Giroux was elbowed in the neck and shoulder while playing for the Berlin Polar Bears in mid-November — he was dispatched to Atlanta to visit with clinical neurologist Dr. Ted Carrick, famous for his post-concussion work on Sidney Crosby.
Giroux’s agent, Pat Brisson, said there was no concern about Giroux having possibly suffered a concussion and that the Carrick visit was purely precautionary.
But Giroux does have a history with head injuries, having been sidelined twice by concussions during his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
As such, he’s quick to point out he’s not back to full health just yet.
“Obviously, I’m doing something every day to make sure I get back in game shape,” he explained. “I still have some things to make sure I’m 100 per cent.”
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)