Dec 5, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman walked up to the podium following this morning’s Board of Governors meeting in New York, said he “was pleased with the process that is ongoing,” and that “out of respect for the process” he had no further comment on negotiations between owners and players.
And then he walked away.
The commissioner’s brief update was seen as a sign that progress is being made in CBA talks.
Similar remarks were made by those who attended the BOG meeting.
“We feel good about the information we got,” said Columbus executive John Davidson, as per Helene Elliott of the LA Times.
“We’re going to continue to talk up until we get a deal,” said MLSE (Leafs) chairman Larry Tanenbaum, as per Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonikas.
When asked if he was confident an agreement could be struck in the next few days, Tanenbaum replied, “As long as we’re talking, we’re hopeful.”
Next up is this afternoon’s players-owners meeting in which the players are expected to make a presentation to the owners.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)