Dec 4, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
Months after undergoing hip surgery in mid-July, Andreas Lilja looks set for a conditioning stint in the AHL, according to Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News.
The Philadelphia Flyers blueliner is expected to practice with the Adirondack Phantoms, but not play in any games for the team’s affiliate.
He’s currently still collecting checks from the team – this season’s salary is $700K – as a player who was still injured as the lockout began. If he’s eventually cleared, he’d feel the lockout pinch like most NHL players.
Injuries and other issues have kept Lilja from getting anywhere close to 82 games played in a recent regular season; he’s missed a lot of time since playing in 60 games in 2008-09 and 79 in 07-08.
Lilja played 46 games in his first campaign with the Flyers last season, collecting six assists, 34 penalty minutes and a +9 rating.
The former Detroit Red Wings defenseman eventually needs to impress if NHL action starts up again because he’s in the last year of his current deal.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (90)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)