Dec 4, 2012, 4:32 PM EST
Red Wings ownership is proposing a $650 million development for downtown Detroit that would be anchored by a new arena for the NHL club.
The development being pitched to state lawmakers would be a public-private partnership that includes both commercial and residential components. Otherwise, details are scant.
“It’s always been my dream to once again see a vibrant downtown Detroit,” said Wings owner Mike Ilitch in a press release.
A new downtown home for the Wings has been the subject of speculation for years. The team’s present home, Joe Louis Arena, opened in 1979, making it the fourth oldest arena in the league.
The oldest arena in the NHL is Madison Square (1968), which is currently undergoing an extensive renovation.
The second oldest is Nassau Coliseum (1972), home of the Islanders, who will be moving to a new building in Brooklyn in 2015.
The third oldest is Edmonton’s Rexall Place (1974). The Oilers are also hoping to build a new downtown rink, though plans have recently hit a snag.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:23 AM EST
Worth staying up late for East Coast hockey fans.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
He did it with style, too.
Mar 6, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
They might want to stay off of Twitter.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
He should provide commentary to as many Vancouver games as possible.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Jhonas Enroth is making the most of his opportunity, to say the least.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
This one looks painful.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:06 PM EST
Boston shut them out 3-0 on Thursday.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
Plenty of talent on the ice for this late one.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
It’s unclear how severe the injury is.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:34 PM EST
Ugly start for Vancouver vs. Dallas.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
No one will wear No. 5 in Detroit again.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:56 PM EST
Injuries make him a key player instantly with Red Wings.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
No denying whose team it is now, anyway.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EST
He’s expected to line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
Mar 6, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
George McPhee “likes” this.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
He’s eligible for the Hockey Hall of Fame this year too.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
High hopes in St. Louis with Ryan Miller between the pipes.
Mar 6, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
All the latest from around the crease…
Mar 6, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 10
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 18
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)