Dec 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
Looking to get back into the medals after a one-year hiatus, USA Hockey named its preliminary roster for the 2013 World Junior tournament on Tuesday — a roster built largely on this year’s draft class and one key prospect for next year.
The list is highlighted by Alex Galchenyuk — taken third overall by Montreal in 2012 — and Seth Jones, the WHL Portland defenseman widely regarded to be the best blueliner in the 2013 draft class and an odds-on favorites to go first overall.
The new-look Team USA will return just three players from the side that finished a disappointing seventh in last year’s tournament. Goalie John Gibson, defenseman Jacob Trouba and forward J.T. Miller will be the returnees, with the strength of the camp roster coming from the 2012 NHL draft, where 11 of the first 50 picks were American players.
Among the notable ’12 draftees headed to Tarrytown, NY, from Dec. 16-18:
– Galchenyuk (Montreal, first round, 3rd overall)
— Trouba (Winnipeg, first round, 9th overall)
— Brady Skjei (New York Rangers, first round, 28th overall)
— Stefan Matteau (New Jersey Devils, first round, 29th overall)
— Patrick Sieloff (Calgary, second round, 42nd overall)
— Jake McCabe (Buffalo, second round, 44th overall)
The other big change for USA Hockey comes behind the bench, where Phil Housley takes over for Dean Blais. It’s an intriguing transition to say the least — under Blais, the team enjoyed a tremendous amount of success by winning gold in 2010 (America’s second tournament win ever) and bronze in 2011.
That said, Blais was also at the helm for last year’s disastrous finish, which saw the U.S. dropped to the relegation round for the first time since 1999.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT
Jumping around a busy Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Was it a dirty hit?
Oct 25, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist didn’t star, but grabbed an assist.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Seems like a broken record, right?
Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Maybe the headline should read goaltending optional instead?
Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Dougie Hamilton’s had a strong night.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Challenging night for Tampa Bay.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Things didn’t look particularly “right” on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Habs face Chris Kreider, David Backes vs. Brent Seabrook on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Yikes on so many levels.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist plays in Nashville as a visitor for the first time.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The 21-year-old was recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)