Dec 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
Looking to get back into the medals after a one-year hiatus, USA Hockey named its preliminary roster for the 2013 World Junior tournament on Tuesday — a roster built largely on this year’s draft class and one key prospect for next year.
The list is highlighted by Alex Galchenyuk — taken third overall by Montreal in 2012 — and Seth Jones, the WHL Portland defenseman widely regarded to be the best blueliner in the 2013 draft class and an odds-on favorites to go first overall.
The new-look Team USA will return just three players from the side that finished a disappointing seventh in last year’s tournament. Goalie John Gibson, defenseman Jacob Trouba and forward J.T. Miller will be the returnees, with the strength of the camp roster coming from the 2012 NHL draft, where 11 of the first 50 picks were American players.
Among the notable ’12 draftees headed to Tarrytown, NY, from Dec. 16-18:
– Galchenyuk (Montreal, first round, 3rd overall)
– Trouba (Winnipeg, first round, 9th overall)
– Brady Skjei (New York Rangers, first round, 28th overall)
– Stefan Matteau (New Jersey Devils, first round, 29th overall)
– Patrick Sieloff (Calgary, second round, 42nd overall)
– Jake McCabe (Buffalo, second round, 44th overall)
The other big change for USA Hockey comes behind the bench, where Phil Housley takes over for Dean Blais. It’s an intriguing transition to say the least — under Blais, the team enjoyed a tremendous amount of success by winning gold in 2010 (America’s second tournament win ever) and bronze in 2011.
That said, Blais was also at the helm for last year’s disastrous finish, which saw the U.S. dropped to the relegation round for the first time since 1999.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
Mikael Granlund became only the fifth NHL player in the last 75 years to score his first career playoff goal in a 1-0 overtime game.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
3-4 month timetable for recovery.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Seems like a good thing to write about after last night’s game in Columbus.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
His first start of the series.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
“They played hard, but for us it was more what we weren’t doing than what they were doing.”
Apr 24, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Detroit hosts Boston at the Joe tonight.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Toews won it last year, Bergeron the year before that.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Would be his series debut, and first game since the Sochi Olympics.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Andersen or Hiller start in Game 5?
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 6
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 15
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 34
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 32
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)