Dec 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EST
Looking to get back into the medals after a one-year hiatus, USA Hockey named its preliminary roster for the 2013 World Junior tournament on Tuesday — a roster built largely on this year’s draft class and one key prospect for next year.
The list is highlighted by Alex Galchenyuk — taken third overall by Montreal in 2012 — and Seth Jones, the WHL Portland defenseman widely regarded to be the best blueliner in the 2013 draft class and an odds-on favorites to go first overall.
The new-look Team USA will return just three players from the side that finished a disappointing seventh in last year’s tournament. Goalie John Gibson, defenseman Jacob Trouba and forward J.T. Miller will be the returnees, with the strength of the camp roster coming from the 2012 NHL draft, where 11 of the first 50 picks were American players.
Among the notable ’12 draftees headed to Tarrytown, NY, from Dec. 16-18:
— Galchenyuk (Montreal, first round, 3rd overall)
— Trouba (Winnipeg, first round, 9th overall)
— Brady Skjei (New York Rangers, first round, 28th overall)
— Stefan Matteau (New Jersey Devils, first round, 29th overall)
— Patrick Sieloff (Calgary, second round, 42nd overall)
— Jake McCabe (Buffalo, second round, 44th overall)
The other big change for USA Hockey comes behind the bench, where Phil Housley takes over for Dean Blais. It’s an intriguing transition to say the least — under Blais, the team enjoyed a tremendous amount of success by winning gold in 2010 (America’s second tournament win ever) and bronze in 2011.
That said, Blais was also at the helm for last year’s disastrous finish, which saw the U.S. dropped to the relegation round for the first time since 1999.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)