Dec 4, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
The hockey world was abuzz Monday when WBZ’s Steve Burton reported that the NHL could announce a CBA agreement as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday, but Bill Daly stomped the rumor out to Sports Illustrated’s Sarah Kwak.
Daly told Kwak that “not a single morsel” of the scuttlebutt was true and expanded upon that thought with TVA’s Patrick Caisse.
“I’m aware of the reports making the rounds,” Daly said. “Unfortunately, there is no truth to them.”
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty also covered the rumor, catching up with a source who said it was the first they heard of “anything remotely close to that” and called the rumor “interesting, but not true.”
For many on Twitter in particular, it was a brief jolt of optimism. Unless Daly’s playing coy, early reactions indicate that the positivity will be short-lived.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)