Dec 4, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
The hockey world was abuzz Monday when WBZ’s Steve Burton reported that the NHL could announce a CBA agreement as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday, but Bill Daly stomped the rumor out to Sports Illustrated’s Sarah Kwak.
Daly told Kwak that “not a single morsel” of the scuttlebutt was true and expanded upon that thought with TVA’s Patrick Caisse.
“I’m aware of the reports making the rounds,” Daly said. “Unfortunately, there is no truth to them.”
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty also covered the rumor, catching up with a source who said it was the first they heard of “anything remotely close to that” and called the rumor “interesting, but not true.”
For many on Twitter in particular, it was a brief jolt of optimism. Unless Daly’s playing coy, early reactions indicate that the positivity will be short-lived.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)