Dec 4, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
The hockey world was abuzz Monday when WBZ’s Steve Burton reported that the NHL could announce a CBA agreement as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday, but Bill Daly stomped the rumor out to Sports Illustrated’s Sarah Kwak.
Daly told Kwak that “not a single morsel” of the scuttlebutt was true and expanded upon that thought with TVA’s Patrick Caisse.
“I’m aware of the reports making the rounds,” Daly said. “Unfortunately, there is no truth to them.”
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty also covered the rumor, catching up with a source who said it was the first they heard of “anything remotely close to that” and called the rumor “interesting, but not true.”
For many on Twitter in particular, it was a brief jolt of optimism. Unless Daly’s playing coy, early reactions indicate that the positivity will be short-lived.
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 3
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 32
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)