Dec 4, 2012, 1:19 PM EST
It’ll be a unique situation when Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby and owner Ron Burkle sit across from one another during Tuesday’s labor meeting.
But it’s a situation Crosby is looking forward to.
“Ron is a great owner,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “He wants everything to be first class and he cares about everyone in the organization.
“He only wants what’s best for the team.”
Crosby confirmed what many were speculating on Monday — he will be one of the players sitting in on Tuesday’s meeting, to be held at 2PM ET at the Westin New York at Times Square.
No. 87 will be joined by 17 other players: Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Jonathan Toews and Kevin Westgarth.
The group will sit down with Burkle and five other owners: Boston’s Jeremy Jacobs, Winnipeg’s Mark Chipman, Calgary’s Murray Edwards, Toronto’s Larry Tanenbaum and Tampa Bay’s Jeff Vinik.
The Tribune-Review reports that many Penguins players expressed a loyalty to Burkle and co-owner Mario Lemieux prior to the meeting, and that many agreed Burkle’s selection was a positive development.
As Brough mentioned in his profile of the owners, Burkle was once named “Man of the Year” by the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor (he’s also been named the AFL-CIO’s Humanitarian of the Year).
“He is committed to giving us a chance to win every year,” Crosby said.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
Spent time in Vancouver as a player and a coach.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 PM EST
Will not return due to a lower body injury.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:18 PM EST
Extends point streak to five games.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:11 PM EST
Remains in the game.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
After 18 seasons, he’s done.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
The 19-year-old rookie will be sticking in the NHL this season.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Chris Thorburn dropped the gloves with the Jackets tough guy.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
He’s been a healthy scratch in three straight games.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Sharks forward has undergone months of rehab on his surgically-repaired knee.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:04 PM EST
“Let’s get real. Finding top-four defensemen, they’re not available,” says GM Dean Lombardi.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
And rightly so.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan, specifically.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Bojangles. That’s a funny name.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
“I would rather fight than turtle or anything like that.”
Nov 25, 2014, 2:36 PM EST
This is… surprising.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
Cory Schneider to “see what kind of player he is” tonight.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
The Blue Jackets, Flyers, Avalanche, Stars, and Sharks all made the playoffs last season. But they’re not in position now.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
GM Dale Tallon reportedly wants to make room for some youngsters.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
For the first time since Nov. 1.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 1
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 2
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)