Dec 4, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
It’ll be a unique situation when Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby and owner Ron Burkle sit across from one another during Tuesday’s labor meeting.
But it’s a situation Crosby is looking forward to.
“Ron is a great owner,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “He wants everything to be first class and he cares about everyone in the organization.
“He only wants what’s best for the team.”
Crosby confirmed what many were speculating on Monday — he will be one of the players sitting in on Tuesday’s meeting, to be held at 2PM ET at the Westin New York at Times Square.
No. 87 will be joined by 17 other players: Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Jonathan Toews and Kevin Westgarth.
The group will sit down with Burkle and five other owners: Boston’s Jeremy Jacobs, Winnipeg’s Mark Chipman, Calgary’s Murray Edwards, Toronto’s Larry Tanenbaum and Tampa Bay’s Jeff Vinik.
The Tribune-Review reports that many Penguins players expressed a loyalty to Burkle and co-owner Mario Lemieux prior to the meeting, and that many agreed Burkle’s selection was a positive development.
As Brough mentioned in his profile of the owners, Burkle was once named “Man of the Year” by the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor (he’s also been named the AFL-CIO’s Humanitarian of the Year).
“He is committed to giving us a chance to win every year,” Crosby said.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7