Dec 4, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
It’ll be a unique situation when Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby and owner Ron Burkle sit across from one another during Tuesday’s labor meeting.
But it’s a situation Crosby is looking forward to.
“Ron is a great owner,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “He wants everything to be first class and he cares about everyone in the organization.
“He only wants what’s best for the team.”
Crosby confirmed what many were speculating on Monday — he will be one of the players sitting in on Tuesday’s meeting, to be held at 2PM ET at the Westin New York at Times Square.
No. 87 will be joined by 17 other players: Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Jonathan Toews and Kevin Westgarth.
The group will sit down with Burkle and five other owners: Boston’s Jeremy Jacobs, Winnipeg’s Mark Chipman, Calgary’s Murray Edwards, Toronto’s Larry Tanenbaum and Tampa Bay’s Jeff Vinik.
The Tribune-Review reports that many Penguins players expressed a loyalty to Burkle and co-owner Mario Lemieux prior to the meeting, and that many agreed Burkle’s selection was a positive development.
As Brough mentioned in his profile of the owners, Burkle was once named “Man of the Year” by the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor (he’s also been named the AFL-CIO’s Humanitarian of the Year).
“He is committed to giving us a chance to win every year,” Crosby said.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 18
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 17
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 26
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 19
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)