Commodore explains why he’s playing in the AHL

Dec 4, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT

Comments Off on Commodore explains why he’s playing in the AHL
Mike Cvik, Mike Commodore AP

Mike Commodore explained to The Globe & Mail that while the lockout wages on, he hopes to make enough of an impression at the AHL level to eventually return to NHL action.

“I’m playing in front of people that I would like to see me play — NHL scouts, GMs and stuff like that,” Commodore said. “I’m just trying to put myself in the best situation.”

Commodore has played in two games with the Hamilton Bulldogs – the Montreal Canadiens’ affiliate – so far. Monte Stewart indicates that he’s had some ups and downs already, particularly during his Bulldogs debut.

Commodore finished even in the plus-minus department as Hamilton split a pair of games with the Heat. Playing his first game since last spring, he went minus-1 in a 5-1 loss, while racking up eight penalty minutes, all on minors. In the second game, he was on the ice as rookie Brendan Gallagher scored the only goal the Bulldogs needed in a 3-0 upset of the league-leading hosts.

While getting back to the big time is the primary goal, the bruising defenseman admits that he’s enjoying spending time with younger players. He’s been there himself, after all.

“It’s different,” Commodore said. “It’s fun. I was 20 once, too, playing in the American Hockey League (with the Albany River Rats) my first year, and I remember older guys that were on my team and how they treated me … It’s nice to be around some young blood and some fresh players. I’m enjoying it so far.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: ‘I got bumped the whole game,’ says Crawford

May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT

Getty Images

Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.

2. Bylsma free to pursue any coaching gig, says Rutherford

May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

Bylsma

Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.

3. Sabres GM Murray lauds ‘great’ process with Babcock, confirms no deal ever in place

May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT

Tim Murray AP

“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”

4. B’s sign Finnish forward Kemppainen to one-year, $700K deal

May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Joonas Kemppainen, Jan Laco Getty Images

Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.

5. Will Hitch be back? Blues still ‘going through the process’

May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Ken Hitchcock AP

“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”

6. Milbury’s ‘tongue-in-cheek’ remarks about Perry discussed, says NBC exec (Video)

May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

Mike Milbury

“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”

7. Report: Sabres get permission to interview Bylsma

May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT

Dan Bylsma AP

As many as six new head coaches could still be named.

8. Versteeg ‘wants to play in the worst way’

May 21, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT

Nashville Predators v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six Nashville Predators v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six

Some have wondered if he could replace goal-less Bryan Bickell.

9. Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’

May 21, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Mike Babcock Mike Babcock

“We need to create a safe environment for the players.”

Babcock has his work cut out in Toronto
Top 10 NHL Player Searches