Dec 4, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
Mike Commodore explained to The Globe & Mail that while the lockout wages on, he hopes to make enough of an impression at the AHL level to eventually return to NHL action.
“I’m playing in front of people that I would like to see me play — NHL scouts, GMs and stuff like that,” Commodore said. “I’m just trying to put myself in the best situation.”
Commodore has played in two games with the Hamilton Bulldogs – the Montreal Canadiens’ affiliate – so far. Monte Stewart indicates that he’s had some ups and downs already, particularly during his Bulldogs debut.
Commodore finished even in the plus-minus department as Hamilton split a pair of games with the Heat. Playing his first game since last spring, he went minus-1 in a 5-1 loss, while racking up eight penalty minutes, all on minors. In the second game, he was on the ice as rookie Brendan Gallagher scored the only goal the Bulldogs needed in a 3-0 upset of the league-leading hosts.
While getting back to the big time is the primary goal, the bruising defenseman admits that he’s enjoying spending time with younger players. He’s been there himself, after all.
“It’s different,” Commodore said. “It’s fun. I was 20 once, too, playing in the American Hockey League (with the Albany River Rats) my first year, and I remember older guys that were on my team and how they treated me … It’s nice to be around some young blood and some fresh players. I’m enjoying it so far.”
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 5
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 33
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 18
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13