Dec 4, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
Mike Commodore explained to The Globe & Mail that while the lockout wages on, he hopes to make enough of an impression at the AHL level to eventually return to NHL action.
“I’m playing in front of people that I would like to see me play — NHL scouts, GMs and stuff like that,” Commodore said. “I’m just trying to put myself in the best situation.”
Commodore has played in two games with the Hamilton Bulldogs – the Montreal Canadiens’ affiliate – so far. Monte Stewart indicates that he’s had some ups and downs already, particularly during his Bulldogs debut.
Commodore finished even in the plus-minus department as Hamilton split a pair of games with the Heat. Playing his first game since last spring, he went minus-1 in a 5-1 loss, while racking up eight penalty minutes, all on minors. In the second game, he was on the ice as rookie Brendan Gallagher scored the only goal the Bulldogs needed in a 3-0 upset of the league-leading hosts.
While getting back to the big time is the primary goal, the bruising defenseman admits that he’s enjoying spending time with younger players. He’s been there himself, after all.
“It’s different,” Commodore said. “It’s fun. I was 20 once, too, playing in the American Hockey League (with the Albany River Rats) my first year, and I remember older guys that were on my team and how they treated me … It’s nice to be around some young blood and some fresh players. I’m enjoying it so far.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)