Dec 4, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
Mike Commodore explained to The Globe & Mail that while the lockout wages on, he hopes to make enough of an impression at the AHL level to eventually return to NHL action.
“I’m playing in front of people that I would like to see me play — NHL scouts, GMs and stuff like that,” Commodore said. “I’m just trying to put myself in the best situation.”
Commodore has played in two games with the Hamilton Bulldogs – the Montreal Canadiens’ affiliate – so far. Monte Stewart indicates that he’s had some ups and downs already, particularly during his Bulldogs debut.
Commodore finished even in the plus-minus department as Hamilton split a pair of games with the Heat. Playing his first game since last spring, he went minus-1 in a 5-1 loss, while racking up eight penalty minutes, all on minors. In the second game, he was on the ice as rookie Brendan Gallagher scored the only goal the Bulldogs needed in a 3-0 upset of the league-leading hosts.
While getting back to the big time is the primary goal, the bruising defenseman admits that he’s enjoying spending time with younger players. He’s been there himself, after all.
“It’s different,” Commodore said. “It’s fun. I was 20 once, too, playing in the American Hockey League (with the Albany River Rats) my first year, and I remember older guys that were on my team and how they treated me … It’s nice to be around some young blood and some fresh players. I’m enjoying it so far.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)