Dec 4, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
Tuesday’s players-owners meeting is extending deep into the night, but Sportsnet’s announcement that Gary Bettman will hold a Wednesday afternoon press conference might not mean as much as some believe.
The reason is simple: Bettman’s 1 pm ET presser was already planned before Tuesday’s meeting (which excluded NHL commissioner and NHLPA head Donald Fehr). It was planned in advance to coincide with the end of tomorrow’s Board of Governors meeting, according to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
Now, there is the chance that Bettman could have an important announcement, too. It all depends upon how discussions go.
It’s anyone’s guess how much closer things could be to an end, although one anonymous player told the Sports Business Journal’s Chris Botta that the meetings haven’t been a waste of time, either.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)