Dec 4, 2012, 10:37 PM EST
Tuesday’s players-owners meeting is extending deep into the night, but Sportsnet’s announcement that Gary Bettman will hold a Wednesday afternoon press conference might not mean as much as some believe.
The reason is simple: Bettman’s 1 pm ET presser was already planned before Tuesday’s meeting (which excluded NHL commissioner and NHLPA head Donald Fehr). It was planned in advance to coincide with the end of tomorrow’s Board of Governors meeting, according to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
Now, there is the chance that Bettman could have an important announcement, too. It all depends upon how discussions go.
It’s anyone’s guess how much closer things could be to an end, although one anonymous player told the Sports Business Journal’s Chris Botta that the meetings haven’t been a waste of time, either.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)