Dec 3, 2012, 9:14 PM EST
The “Frozen Fenway” event that originally accompanied the 2010 Winter Classic might just become an every-other-year event in Boston.
The Boston Red Sox are planning a possible third edition of the event for 2014, according to College Hockey News (via NHL.com).
“We are deep into the planning phase for the possibility of a return of Frozen Fenway in 2014,” Red Sox executive Sam Kennedy said. “We will need to secure proper city approvals and complete our negotiations with the many teams who are interested in competing before we will have any formal announcement.”
Along with the series of events that took place in 2010, there was also a “Frozen Fenway” series of events beginning on Jan. 7, 2012.
Each time, the multi-week series featured NCAA games while also including contests between local high school teams and public skate opportunities. As Kennedy indicates, the 2014 participants haven’t been selected yet.
If the series of events does indeed happen in 2014, this could turn into quite the Beantown hockey tradition.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 50
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)