Dec 3, 2012, 9:14 PM EST
The “Frozen Fenway” event that originally accompanied the 2010 Winter Classic might just become an every-other-year event in Boston.
The Boston Red Sox are planning a possible third edition of the event for 2014, according to College Hockey News (via NHL.com).
“We are deep into the planning phase for the possibility of a return of Frozen Fenway in 2014,” Red Sox executive Sam Kennedy said. “We will need to secure proper city approvals and complete our negotiations with the many teams who are interested in competing before we will have any formal announcement.”
Along with the series of events that took place in 2010, there was also a “Frozen Fenway” series of events beginning on Jan. 7, 2012.
Each time, the multi-week series featured NCAA games while also including contests between local high school teams and public skate opportunities. As Kennedy indicates, the 2014 participants haven’t been selected yet.
If the series of events does indeed happen in 2014, this could turn into quite the Beantown hockey tradition.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)