Dec 3, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
Two weeks removed from his short stint with Dinamo Minsk, Evander Kane is reflecting on his time in the KHL.
He’s just not reflecting on it with fondness.
“It didn’t work out,” Kane told the Winnipeg Free Press. “You play six minutes a night and they want you to score three goals a game.”
Kane played 12 games for the Belarusian club, registering just one point while finishing with a minus-8 rating.
And that wasn’t even the worst of it.
Despite all this, Kane did claim some positives. He said it was a good experience to see “what happens over there and how it works,” and called the Minsk fans some of the best in the KHL.
But it sounds as though Kane was always uncomfortable overseas. Aside from ex-Jet Tim Stapleton and a pair of fellow locked-out NHLers in Pekka Rinne and Joe Pavelski, not much was familiar to the young power forward.
“There were some long days in the hotel room,” Kane said. “You can’t watch TV. I don’t think I even turned on my TV the entire time I was over there. I watched movies and downloaded shows for the laptop.
“It wasn’t the most positive experience, but it was an experience for me.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)