Dec 3, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. ET as No. 11 Dartmouth takes on Vermont.
When it comes to picking out potential NCAA tournament teams, most eyes go right to the WCHA, CCHA, and Hockey East. The early part of this season has made some eyes start taking a look at the ECAC.
Last week’s poll saw four teams in the USA Hockey/USA Today Top 15: Union (7), Dartmouth (11), Cornell (12), and Yale (13). The USCHO.com Top 20 also had Quinnipiac and Harvard in the mix. Is the conference sometimes referred to as the “EZAC” actually underrated this year? USCHO.com’s Brian Sullivan thinks so.
Sullivan points out the number of NHL-drafted players at the top of the goal scoring leaderboard as well as the current (and very, very, very early Pairwise Rankings) would place all six teams in the field of 16 with two No. 1 seeds.
It’s way too early to start dusting off the Pairwise crystal ball, but things are off to a good start for the ECAC. Then again, it’s a conference known for tearing each other down through the year and dashing each other’s NCAA hopes in the conference tournament.
Like Sullivan says, however, if the league can land four teams in the NCAA’s, call it a win for a conference that has sent just two teams to the Frozen Four since 2003.
Jerry York watch: Kudos to Boston College coach Jerry York for taking one out of two against BU this weekend and tying Ron Mason’s NCAA coaching wins record. They’ll go to Providence to take on the Friars on Friday night to possibly break the record then. USCHO has a nice look back on York through the years.
Frozen Fenway coming back?: It looks like another outdoor college hockey festival at Fenway Park in Boston will be back in 2014. CHN says they’re looking for final approval and a BC vs. Notre Dame match-up seems likely.
Kerdiles back: Nic Kerdiles’ first two games back for Wisconsin went well. He finished the weekend against Denver with two assists and missed out on a goal thanks to a shot being tipped in. More importantly? Two upset wins for the Badgers over the soon-to-be former No. 5 Pioneers.
Hockey Humanitarian Award: Nominations are out for the Hockey Humanitarian Award and you can put your favorite college hockey player worthy of recognition in for consideration until December 14. Get on that.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)