Dec 3, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. ET as No. 11 Dartmouth takes on Vermont.
When it comes to picking out potential NCAA tournament teams, most eyes go right to the WCHA, CCHA, and Hockey East. The early part of this season has made some eyes start taking a look at the ECAC.
Last week’s poll saw four teams in the USA Hockey/USA Today Top 15: Union (7), Dartmouth (11), Cornell (12), and Yale (13). The USCHO.com Top 20 also had Quinnipiac and Harvard in the mix. Is the conference sometimes referred to as the “EZAC” actually underrated this year? USCHO.com’s Brian Sullivan thinks so.
Sullivan points out the number of NHL-drafted players at the top of the goal scoring leaderboard as well as the current (and very, very, very early Pairwise Rankings) would place all six teams in the field of 16 with two No. 1 seeds.
It’s way too early to start dusting off the Pairwise crystal ball, but things are off to a good start for the ECAC. Then again, it’s a conference known for tearing each other down through the year and dashing each other’s NCAA hopes in the conference tournament.
Like Sullivan says, however, if the league can land four teams in the NCAA’s, call it a win for a conference that has sent just two teams to the Frozen Four since 2003.
Jerry York watch: Kudos to Boston College coach Jerry York for taking one out of two against BU this weekend and tying Ron Mason’s NCAA coaching wins record. They’ll go to Providence to take on the Friars on Friday night to possibly break the record then. USCHO has a nice look back on York through the years.
Frozen Fenway coming back?: It looks like another outdoor college hockey festival at Fenway Park in Boston will be back in 2014. CHN says they’re looking for final approval and a BC vs. Notre Dame match-up seems likely.
Kerdiles back: Nic Kerdiles’ first two games back for Wisconsin went well. He finished the weekend against Denver with two assists and missed out on a goal thanks to a shot being tipped in. More importantly? Two upset wins for the Badgers over the soon-to-be former No. 5 Pioneers.
Hockey Humanitarian Award: Nominations are out for the Hockey Humanitarian Award and you can put your favorite college hockey player worthy of recognition in for consideration until December 14. Get on that.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Chicago’s goalie depth about to be tested.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
It really wasn’t.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
Because he’s spent much of this season questioning his team.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
When Nashville loses, it loses big.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
It’s been a long journey for the former No. 6 overall pick.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Incident occurred on Sunday, against Boston’s Kevan Miller.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
No goals in 18 games for the Sabres.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Facing a lengthy suspension.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Bad news, especially given his history.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
He spent 16 years with and played over 600 games for the Flames.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
That’s the stadium in the ‘Peg.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
If he’s not available, the Bruins will need to call up a defenseman.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Playing at least one more season would likely make him Ottawa’s all-time games leader.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
Both teams have struggled lately.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 1
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 20
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 20
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 129
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (108)