Dec 2, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
The NHLPA was interested in including the federal mediators that previously met with both sides in the upcoming players-owners meeting scheduled for Tuesday, according to TSN’s Aaron Ward’s source.
The NHL reportedly rejected that request, but the meeting will still proceed.
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr expressed hope that the session will be “constructive” and he was encouraged by the inclusion of owners who had not been in any of the previous CBA talks.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly announced that owners Ron Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, Mark Chipman of the the Winnipeg Jets, Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Murray Edwards of the Calgary Flames, and Jeffrey Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning are expected to be in attendance.
It is not yet known who the players will pick to attend the talks.
The federal mediators in question recently met with the NHL and union for two days before ending the talks.
Daly said that the mediators concluded “that the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)