Dec 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Boston College’s Jerry York is one win away from cementing his legendary status as college hockey’s winningest head coach.
After seeing his Eagles earn a 5-2 win over crosstown rival Boston University, York tied legendary Michigan State coach Ron Mason with his 924th career victory. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty was there to witness it and it was his rival, BU coach Jack Parker, who had the nicest things to say about him.
“He deserves all of the accolades. It’s hard for people to believe this because he’s been so successful and because he’s won so many games, but I still don’t think he gets the credit he deserves.”
In his career with Clarkson, Bowling Green, and Boston College, he’s coached five national championship teams. Four of those have come at BC and all within the last 12 years (2001, 2008, 2010, 2012). He also led the 1984 Bowling Green Falcons to their lone national championship in hockey.
York will have the chance to break Mason’s record on Friday night at Providence College. If that fails, December 29 against Alabama-Huntsville in the Mariucci Classic in Minnesota would be his next opportunity.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)