Dec 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Boston College’s Jerry York is one win away from cementing his legendary status as college hockey’s winningest head coach.
After seeing his Eagles earn a 5-2 win over crosstown rival Boston University, York tied legendary Michigan State coach Ron Mason with his 924th career victory. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty was there to witness it and it was his rival, BU coach Jack Parker, who had the nicest things to say about him.
“He deserves all of the accolades. It’s hard for people to believe this because he’s been so successful and because he’s won so many games, but I still don’t think he gets the credit he deserves.”
In his career with Clarkson, Bowling Green, and Boston College, he’s coached five national championship teams. Four of those have come at BC and all within the last 12 years (2001, 2008, 2010, 2012). He also led the 1984 Bowling Green Falcons to their lone national championship in hockey.
York will have the chance to break Mason’s record on Friday night at Providence College. If that fails, December 29 against Alabama-Huntsville in the Mariucci Classic in Minnesota would be his next opportunity.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)