Dec 2, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for the ongoing lockout, the top three picks from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft might have already made their NHL debuts.
Nail Yakupov and Ryan Murray seemed like good bets to make their respective teams’ opening game rosters and even get a significant amount of ice time. Alex Galchenyuk would have at very least gotten a chance to prove himself in the Montreal Canadiens’ training camp.
Obviously that didn’t happen, but the top picks from 2012 are still having eventful seasons. Here’s a brief recap of how their 2012-13 campaigns have gone so far:
Nail Yakupov (Edmonton Oilers) — Yakupov spent the 2011-12 season with the OHL Sarnia Sting, but he decided to take the opportunity to play in the KHL during the lockout. He’s more than held his own while playing against men, scoring 10 goals and 18 points in 20 games with HC Neftekhimik.
Yakupov also got two goals and two assists in six games to help Russia edge out the top Canadian Hockey League players in the 2012 Subway Super Series.
Ryan Murray (Columbus Blue Jackets) — As if the Blue Jackets needed more bad news, they got some last month. Murray was off to a great start with the WHL Everett Silvertips, scoring two goals and 17 points in 23 games this season. Unfortunately, Murray has a torn labrum and will likely miss the rest of the season.
Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal Canadiens) — Galchenyuk missed all but two regular season games in 2011-12 due to a torn ACL, but he was still so highly regarded that his selection with the third overall pick didn’t come as a shock.
Galchenyuk hasn’t done anything to make the Canadiens feel bad about the faith they’ve put in him. He already has 20 goals and 49 points in just 28 games with the OHL Sarnia Sting.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
A “real steady force back there” must now be replaced.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Colorado forward is expected to take home the honors.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
“He didn’t get to play enough hockey this season, so he’s still eager to play.”
Apr 23, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Chicago’s been tough to beat at home in the playoffs.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
Can Columbus rebound from its Game 3 collapse?
Apr 23, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
He spent three seasons with the Flyers.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
He’s been out since April 10.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
It’s that or hit the road down 3-1.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:17 AM EDT
They’ll be facing elimination on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
Stunner at the Staples Center.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Impressive, but just his first marker of the series.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
“They thrived on it.”
Apr 22, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Some thought he was milking an injury and even holding the wrong knee.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
Flyers fans give it right back, though.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Get this: people will be talking about Flyers goaltending.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Not exactly a thing of beauty, but it counts…
Apr 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Kept him out of the entire opening round.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Boston’s first win at Joe Louis Arena in seven years.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Not the names you’d expect, huh?
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)