Dec 2, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for the ongoing lockout, the top three picks from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft might have already made their NHL debuts.
Nail Yakupov and Ryan Murray seemed like good bets to make their respective teams’ opening game rosters and even get a significant amount of ice time. Alex Galchenyuk would have at very least gotten a chance to prove himself in the Montreal Canadiens’ training camp.
Obviously that didn’t happen, but the top picks from 2012 are still having eventful seasons. Here’s a brief recap of how their 2012-13 campaigns have gone so far:
Nail Yakupov (Edmonton Oilers) — Yakupov spent the 2011-12 season with the OHL Sarnia Sting, but he decided to take the opportunity to play in the KHL during the lockout. He’s more than held his own while playing against men, scoring 10 goals and 18 points in 20 games with HC Neftekhimik.
Yakupov also got two goals and two assists in six games to help Russia edge out the top Canadian Hockey League players in the 2012 Subway Super Series.
Ryan Murray (Columbus Blue Jackets) — As if the Blue Jackets needed more bad news, they got some last month. Murray was off to a great start with the WHL Everett Silvertips, scoring two goals and 17 points in 23 games this season. Unfortunately, Murray has a torn labrum and will likely miss the rest of the season.
Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal Canadiens) — Galchenyuk missed all but two regular season games in 2011-12 due to a torn ACL, but he was still so highly regarded that his selection with the third overall pick didn’t come as a shock.
Galchenyuk hasn’t done anything to make the Canadiens feel bad about the faith they’ve put in him. He already has 20 goals and 49 points in just 28 games with the OHL Sarnia Sting.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)