Dec 2, 2012, 8:10 PM EST
If it wasn’t for the ongoing lockout, the top three picks from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft might have already made their NHL debuts.
Nail Yakupov and Ryan Murray seemed like good bets to make their respective teams’ opening game rosters and even get a significant amount of ice time. Alex Galchenyuk would have at very least gotten a chance to prove himself in the Montreal Canadiens’ training camp.
Obviously that didn’t happen, but the top picks from 2012 are still having eventful seasons. Here’s a brief recap of how their 2012-13 campaigns have gone so far:
Nail Yakupov (Edmonton Oilers) — Yakupov spent the 2011-12 season with the OHL Sarnia Sting, but he decided to take the opportunity to play in the KHL during the lockout. He’s more than held his own while playing against men, scoring 10 goals and 18 points in 20 games with HC Neftekhimik.
Yakupov also got two goals and two assists in six games to help Russia edge out the top Canadian Hockey League players in the 2012 Subway Super Series.
Ryan Murray (Columbus Blue Jackets) — As if the Blue Jackets needed more bad news, they got some last month. Murray was off to a great start with the WHL Everett Silvertips, scoring two goals and 17 points in 23 games this season. Unfortunately, Murray has a torn labrum and will likely miss the rest of the season.
Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal Canadiens) — Galchenyuk missed all but two regular season games in 2011-12 due to a torn ACL, but he was still so highly regarded that his selection with the third overall pick didn’t come as a shock.
Galchenyuk hasn’t done anything to make the Canadiens feel bad about the faith they’ve put in him. He already has 20 goals and 49 points in just 28 games with the OHL Sarnia Sting.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Expected to join the Blues for practice on Friday.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Replaced by Andre Benoit.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Was hurt during Tuesday’s practice.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Originally out 4-6 weeks, he’s back in just over three.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
But how much public money will be required?
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 15
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 14
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)