Dec 2, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for the ongoing lockout, the top three picks from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft might have already made their NHL debuts.
Nail Yakupov and Ryan Murray seemed like good bets to make their respective teams’ opening game rosters and even get a significant amount of ice time. Alex Galchenyuk would have at very least gotten a chance to prove himself in the Montreal Canadiens’ training camp.
Obviously that didn’t happen, but the top picks from 2012 are still having eventful seasons. Here’s a brief recap of how their 2012-13 campaigns have gone so far:
Nail Yakupov (Edmonton Oilers) — Yakupov spent the 2011-12 season with the OHL Sarnia Sting, but he decided to take the opportunity to play in the KHL during the lockout. He’s more than held his own while playing against men, scoring 10 goals and 18 points in 20 games with HC Neftekhimik.
Yakupov also got two goals and two assists in six games to help Russia edge out the top Canadian Hockey League players in the 2012 Subway Super Series.
Ryan Murray (Columbus Blue Jackets) — As if the Blue Jackets needed more bad news, they got some last month. Murray was off to a great start with the WHL Everett Silvertips, scoring two goals and 17 points in 23 games this season. Unfortunately, Murray has a torn labrum and will likely miss the rest of the season.
Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal Canadiens) — Galchenyuk missed all but two regular season games in 2011-12 due to a torn ACL, but he was still so highly regarded that his selection with the third overall pick didn’t come as a shock.
Galchenyuk hasn’t done anything to make the Canadiens feel bad about the faith they’ve put in him. He already has 20 goals and 49 points in just 28 games with the OHL Sarnia Sting.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car