Dec 2, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for the ongoing lockout, the top three picks from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft might have already made their NHL debuts.
Nail Yakupov and Ryan Murray seemed like good bets to make their respective teams’ opening game rosters and even get a significant amount of ice time. Alex Galchenyuk would have at very least gotten a chance to prove himself in the Montreal Canadiens’ training camp.
Obviously that didn’t happen, but the top picks from 2012 are still having eventful seasons. Here’s a brief recap of how their 2012-13 campaigns have gone so far:
Nail Yakupov (Edmonton Oilers) — Yakupov spent the 2011-12 season with the OHL Sarnia Sting, but he decided to take the opportunity to play in the KHL during the lockout. He’s more than held his own while playing against men, scoring 10 goals and 18 points in 20 games with HC Neftekhimik.
Yakupov also got two goals and two assists in six games to help Russia edge out the top Canadian Hockey League players in the 2012 Subway Super Series.
Ryan Murray (Columbus Blue Jackets) — As if the Blue Jackets needed more bad news, they got some last month. Murray was off to a great start with the WHL Everett Silvertips, scoring two goals and 17 points in 23 games this season. Unfortunately, Murray has a torn labrum and will likely miss the rest of the season.
Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal Canadiens) — Galchenyuk missed all but two regular season games in 2011-12 due to a torn ACL, but he was still so highly regarded that his selection with the third overall pick didn’t come as a shock.
Galchenyuk hasn’t done anything to make the Canadiens feel bad about the faith they’ve put in him. He already has 20 goals and 49 points in just 28 games with the OHL Sarnia Sting.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)