Dec 1, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
The NHLPA gave the go-ahead to hand players $10K stipends on Saturday, according to TSN’s Aaron Ward.
This comes at a strategic time, as Sportsnet’s Jesse Spector points out that the players missed what would have been the fourth paycheck of the season on Friday.
That $10K will help – especially for players who are unlikely to make significant amounts overseas thanks to insurance costs – although escrow payments likely made the biggest difference for those collecting little to nothing.
The NHLPA is still mulling over the league’s offer to meet without Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman, so developments like these could make a big difference for guys who haven’t been saving as much as they should.
Some look at this from a grimmer perspective, including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 01, 2012
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 0
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 19
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 83
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (83)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants