Dec 1, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
The NHLPA gave the go-ahead to hand players $10K stipends on Saturday, according to TSN’s Aaron Ward.
This comes at a strategic time, as Sportsnet’s Jesse Spector points out that the players missed what would have been the fourth paycheck of the season on Friday.
That $10K will help – especially for players who are unlikely to make significant amounts overseas thanks to insurance costs – although escrow payments likely made the biggest difference for those collecting little to nothing.
The NHLPA is still mulling over the league’s offer to meet without Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman, so developments like these could make a big difference for guys who haven’t been saving as much as they should.
Some look at this from a grimmer perspective, including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 01, 2012
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)