Dec 1, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
It’s been a bit of a strange trip for Alex Burmistrov since he was drafted into the NHL and going from Atlanta to Winnipeg was just the beginning.
Last season, just his second in the league, saw him break out a bit scoring 13 goals and seeing more ice time than his downer of a rookie year, but there were thoughts he might wind up in the AHL to start this year.
Thanks to the lockout, he’s with the St. John’s IceCaps anyhow and he’s playing every role for them. He’s on one of the top lines, he’s running the point on the power play, and he’s killing penalties. He’s happy to do whatever he can to live up to his potential.
“I’m still learning how to play hockey,” Burmistrov says. “I appreciate they give me a lot of ice time. I just need to play my game and help my team.”
It’s been a whirlwind trip for Burmistrov in his career, but being a former top pick in the AHL means people are gunning for him and he’s ready for it.
“It’s always like this, every game. I’m not a fighter so I won’t be fighting. They try to get under my skin but it never works. I don’t care, I just do my job.”
If he brings that kind of attitude back to Winnipeg when the NHL returns, their sold-out crowds will love him all the more.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)