Dec 1, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
It’s been a bit of a strange trip for Alex Burmistrov since he was drafted into the NHL and going from Atlanta to Winnipeg was just the beginning.
Last season, just his second in the league, saw him break out a bit scoring 13 goals and seeing more ice time than his downer of a rookie year, but there were thoughts he might wind up in the AHL to start this year.
Thanks to the lockout, he’s with the St. John’s IceCaps anyhow and he’s playing every role for them. He’s on one of the top lines, he’s running the point on the power play, and he’s killing penalties. He’s happy to do whatever he can to live up to his potential.
“I’m still learning how to play hockey,” Burmistrov says. “I appreciate they give me a lot of ice time. I just need to play my game and help my team.”
It’s been a whirlwind trip for Burmistrov in his career, but being a former top pick in the AHL means people are gunning for him and he’s ready for it.
“It’s always like this, every game. I’m not a fighter so I won’t be fighting. They try to get under my skin but it never works. I don’t care, I just do my job.”
If he brings that kind of attitude back to Winnipeg when the NHL returns, their sold-out crowds will love him all the more.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (145)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)