Dec 1, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Blackhawks players Steve Montador and Jonathan Toews have had a vocal presence on the labor scene. Both have been at meetings and have spoken their mind about how the process is going. With talks stalled and things looking bleak, their opinions differ on what the next step should be.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers spoke with both players about what they believe should happen next and Montador says decertification looks like the way to go.
“It makes sense when this lockout has gone this long and there’s been no movement from the NHL and massive concessions from the players,” Blackhawks defenseman and player representative Steve Montador said recently. “It’s unfortunate that we have to consider such measures, but it’s a serious one.”
Toews doesn’t quite see it that way, saying decertification is “an option.”
“I’m not sure if it’s the most imminent choice right now,” Toews said. “But at some point the players have certain negotiating tactics that we need to use. Up until now it’s been a waiting game.”
With opinions differing like this, even among teammates, this is where Donald Fehr’s job is as tricky as it’s ever been.
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)