Nov 30, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Ken Holland is going to have a word with his under-fire prospects.
You know, the one when cops found Sheahan driving the wrong way down a road in possession of Smith’s ID — while wearing a purple Teletubby costume — then Sheahan blew a .30 on his breathalyzer test and had to be admitted to local hospital because of his high BAC?
Yeah. That one.
“[Sheahan's] going to go through the court system,” Holland said. “We’ve talked to him. We’re keeping it internal. He’s obviously doing some things that he feels he needs to do to learn from his decision.”
It remains to bee seen what punishment, if any, Smith will face for his role in the incident.
According to the arresting officer, Sheahan admitted he had Smith’s Michigan driver’s license so he could get into bars — Sheahan is 20, Smith is 23 — so if Smith willingly provided his ID for Sheahan to purchase alcohol, there could be problems.
In addition to the super-drunk charge, Sheahan was also dinged for providing officers with false information.
The blood-alcohol charge could carry up to 180 days in jail and Sheahan could also face deportation, given he’s not an American citizen.
Sheahan was Detroit’s first-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Smith was Detroit’s first-round pick in 2007 and made his debut with the club last season, appearing in 14 games.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 0
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 88
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (88)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)