Video: How much longer will this lockout last?

Nov 30, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT

One day, there will be NHL games again, but when that will be is the big question. Mike Milbury and Keith Jones share their views on how much longer they see this lockout lasting and why the talks haven’t led to a compromise yet.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

For now we’re waiting to see if the NHLPA will take up the NHL on their offer of a CBA negotiating session involving just the players and owners. If that doesn’t go well or doesn’t happen at all, then the union might take its first steps towards decertification.

Related:

If there’s a player-owner meeting, count Martin St. Louis in

“Roenick: NHL contraction “would be better for the game”

Andrew Ladd doesn’t want Jeremy Jacobs “spewing his stuff” in players-owners meeting

Should the players accept a Fehr-less meeting with the owners?

Daly, Fehr issue statements after CBA mediation process stalls

1. trbowman - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Cancel the season already.

2. trbowman - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Lockout’s only been 76 days? Feels like it’s been a helluva lot longer.

3. joeyashwi - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:36 PM

76 days and around what, 8 meetings? It’s not even news anymore. People don’t care. Bettman and the owners win. NHL is done. Way to throw away billions to gain millions.

4. fortwaynekomets - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM

does ANY one find it odd there is almost zero news coverage of the NHL lockout in the States??? I talk to relatives all over the country and most weren’t even aware of what’s happening. Even NBCSPORTS only shows a 10 second clip if anything at all…. very odd imo.

I’ve already accepted no NHL this season and possible next. I’ve settled with the AHL and ECHL and I’m doing just fine. All games are streamed online, its amazing!

Until there is a major backlash, or a strike or lockout by the fans, the NHL will continue to do this lockout crap to our kids, and our kid’s kids. Something needs to be done.

• daburghdabest - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Not really. If owners look bad you’ll see pretty much bare minimum coverage in the media because they either own it or they’re close friends with the other billionaires that do. The NFL lockout got covered pretty well but only really because ESPN’s business plan is to take something fans are talking about, so long as it’s one of their partners, and force feed it until they choke on it. They have no use for giving the NHL press because they’re not in business with them & anyway it would be bad press for owners who would be the ones they do business with if they ever brought NHL hockey back. The public opinion was against the players in the last lockout, so most media outlets had no fears in laying into them. Except for a few dedicated hockey writers you’re not seeing that this time.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:34 AM

“it might also eat into 2013-14.”

If there’s even a chance of that happening I will personally see to it that the seven Canadian NHL teams are severed from the NHL and tryouts are held to form an eighth team so that we can have two even conferences. It’ll be just like the CFL except it’ll be a pro sports league. Who’s with me?

• millertime30 - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM

You will personally see to it, huh?

Gee.. wish I had that kinda pull..

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Apparently my authority increases proportionally to the amount I drink.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Dec 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM

LAWL.

6. sportsfan69 - Dec 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

No season equals no pay. As a seasoned negotiator, my advise to the players is take the deal with the latest “make whole” provision. Request for a six year free agency, you’ll gain a year of free agency. Currently it’s seven years, a six year agency would be a small victory. The make whole provision is unrealistic demand that will only create resentment amongst the public (NHL fans and employees).

Work on health and pension issues. There small issues that will help the general membership after hockey. Trust me, those issues are actually more than income for today.

Good luck!

• millertime30 - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM

forgive me for being a skeptic, as honest mistakes do happen.. but something tells me that a ‘seasoned negotiator’ would know the difference between advice and to advise.

• General Lee 1175 - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

sportsfan69 is nothing more then a peasant.

7. sportsfan69 - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Please excuse me Millertime,

I was using my I-Phone and its an early Saturday morning before I had my coffee. I didn’t know, proof readers dominate this blog. Sorry!

• manchestermiracle - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Some of us are kind of anal about that because there’s so little else we have any control over, like this stupid lockout.

8. tonys4 - Dec 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Milbury was on the money when he pointed out the insulting first offer of the nhl and the fact they walked out after 10 minutes when players agreed to 50-50. Gary ‘the retard’ and his henchman Bill ‘there’s nothing to talk about’ Daly are totally to blame for the negative tone of these negotiations. Losing billions to make millions, well said.

• manchestermiracle - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

To paraphrase: You could make a million investing in the NHL….As long as you started with ten million….

9. goalie007 - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I think it’s beyond obvious that Gary Bettman has far outlived his usefullness as Commissioner and should be replaced ASAP. I thinks it’s also fairly obvious that the NHL has lost all relevance as a major professional sports league at this point. If the full season is lost this year and the lockout bleeds over into next season I can’t imagine how the NHL can ever recover the trust and loyalty of fans, television partners, and advertisers again.

10. id4joey - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

goalie, if you think Bettman is the problem, then you’ve stopped too many pucks with your head. Or maybe your jock strap. Either way you’re way off the mark.

• goalie007 - Dec 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Bettman’s primary role as Commisioner is that of a leader. Under his leadership the NHL is now on it’s 3rd work stoppage and about to lose it’s 2nd full season of play. Part of his job is to promote the league in the public eye. He can’t do that if they can’t stay on the ice. Under his leadership, the NHL has now become completely irrelevant. If they don’t play, nothing else matters. Both the NFL and NBA have had similar issues recently, and both managed to settle them with minimal time lost, especially the NFL. Bettman has shown an inability (or lack of desire) to work with the player’s union to resolve the issues at hand. The NHL needs a leader who can do that, and Gary Bettman has shown he is no longer that person. Unfortunately, his counterpart Donald Fehr is of the same mindset, so I don’t hold out any hope for this season, or the next, for that matter.

11. id4joey - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Lets all applaud Mr. Lee’s well thought out response. Thank you.

12. sportsfan69 - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Thanks Joe,

General Lee or should you be better known as General Dork.

I have only been involved in labor management for over 20 years, along with two management degrees.

General Dork, what is your solution or are you just a negative Nellie?

• General Lee 1175 - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

no i just have a good time watching you react volatile and with emotion like a woman

• tatdue - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

That’s just an example of his “seasoned negotiating skills” lol….

13. northstars17 - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

as a lifelong hockey player, who know lives in San Diego, CA…. I am all in favor of taking some of these “sunbelt” teams BACK TO CANADA.

I was raised in Indiana as a diehard B-Hawks and N-Stars fan (that might sound odd but its true). I have also LIVED in North Carolina and Oklahoma and I can say for 100% sure those ARE hockey states. especially N Carolina. so KEEP the Carolina Hurricanes and the Dallas Stars.

the teams that need to go are obviously Phoenix, Columbus, and either Florida or Nashville. when I say need to go I mean relocated, preferably in Canada where the sport was built. how can there honestly be only 6 Canadian teams??? I think 2 teams need to go back asap. one to Quebec, and one to Ontario.

• bagjr387 - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I agree with you accept the fact that a team in southern ontario COULD hurt the sabres being so close together. I think something like 20% of season ticket holders are from ontario

• zetaone - Dec 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I’m an American fan in favor of moving some American teams to Canada. I’m not worried about the passion or desire for hockey from certain Canadian cities, I’d be worried about their ability financially to support an NHL team.

I’m glad Winnipeg got their team back. I’d like to see Quebec get theirs back as well, but then what? Kitchner? Saskatoon? Halifax? Hamilton may too close to Toronto and Buffalo (then again the Islanders/Rangers/Devils do it). How many more have ability to support a franchise?

That Kraft Hockeyville thing is pretty crazy though.. The lengths some Canadian’s go to just to get a preseason game in their town..

14. polegojim - Dec 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Everyone will have moved on… including fans.

Guess I’ll have to watch… regular season NBA… ouch.

15. bagjr387 - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Is it too crazy to think that the NHL should just crash and burn, and to start from scratch….WTF is going on, and why is it taking this long. These people can all afford to wipe their a$$es with $100 bills.

Get a sense of reality, there a people who have part time and full time jobs depending on this league to get going, and with Christmas coming, are in trouble.

I worked part time in concessions for 3 years to get by in my early 20′s, I dont know what I would’ve done without that money. Its too bad that most of the people involved cant see past the millions that they “need”

I dont want to hear any BS about how some players don’t make millions. I made $35,000 last year and survived. NHL minimum is $500,000 I think, could be more

• matt8204 - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I agree. Three friggin’ lockouts and you still can’t find a viable economic system? Something’s wrong with the basic structure of the league in that case.

16. dinklespiel - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Another case of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Seems like the player’s union is about as swift as the bakery union that caused Hostess to shut it’s doors and put 18,000 hard working people in the foodstamp line.

Only difference is the rich players want to be even richer even though the owner’s take all the risk . Long live open shops.

17. capsrockva - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I just want the dam deal done soon so I can watch hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please someone make Bettman and Fehr talk until the dam thing is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please. At this point I just want to watch my favorite sport. If this season is cancelled I agree with the video, it will be nearly impossile to bring fans back except those in CA where the sport was invented.

18. capsrockva - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM