Nov 30, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
It appears another Sabre is ready to jump the pond.
Pominville told Hoppe he’s been in talks with Mannheim for a while and figured now was a good time to join the club — especially in light of stalled CBA negotiations.
“If it does get settled quick, then I’ll be able to skate for a few weeks, a month – whatever it is,” Pominville said. “It’ll be a mini training camp. And if not, I’ll have a team for the rest of the season.
“I think it’s a move I wanted to do. I just want to play.”
Once the signing’s official, Pominville will become the third locked-out NHLer to join Mannheim. The Deutsche Eishockey Liga club already has Florida’s Marcel Goc and Boston’s Dennis Seidenberg in the mix and also has a standing offer to German-born Jochen Hecht, Pominville’s teammate in Buffalo.
“It’s a team my family felt comfortable going to,” Pominville explained. “We know that maybe eventually Jochen will be there. We’ll be living close to our friends. That’s the good part about it.”
With the move, Pominville becomes the eighth Sabre to have signed overseas during the lockout, joining Tyler Ennis (Switzerland), Andrej Sekera (Slovak Extraliga), Thomas Vanek (Austria), Tyler Myers (Austria), Alex Sulzer (Germany), Jhonas Enroth (Sweden) and Mike Weber (Norway).
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)