Nov 30, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Three years ago, Terry Murray was coaching Brayden Schenn in Los Angeles.
Today, the pair are back together — in AHL Adirondack — and the reunion has been a positive one for Murray, who gushes about how much Schenn has grown as a player.
“Since I saw him in LA, every part of his game has come along tremendously,” Murray told the Philadelphia Daily News. “He’s physically more mature, mentally more mature. He’s starting to really identify with what his niche is in the game.
“He’s becoming a more complete player.”
Schenn, 21, is having a remarkable season. He leads Adirondack in scoring (22 points in 18 games) and sits third overall in the league. He’s also emerged as Murray’s go-to guy in clutch situations.
Schenn leads the Phantoms in both power-play and shorthanded goals and his recent scoring binge — 11 points in his last seven games — has translated to wins.
Adirondack is 4-3 over those seven games, not bad for a team that only mustered two wins in its first six contests of the season.
“He’s the kind of ‘big-game’ player that coaches love,” Murray said. “I can put him out on the ice in critical situations and know what I’m going to get out of him. He knows when he needs to step up; he knows the critical times and critical situations.
“Not all players recognize that. I’ve always believed the toughest thing in pro sports is to win when you’re supposed to.”
Schenn’s ascension has to be exciting for Flyers fans.
Along with Sean Couturier, he represents the future of Philly’s dynamic young forward group, one that also includes Claude Giroux (24 years old), Wayne Simmonds (23), Matt Read (26) and, eventually, 2012 first-rounder Scott Laughton, who is currently tearing it up with OHL Oshawa.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 8
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 106
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)