Nov 30, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Three years ago, Terry Murray was coaching Brayden Schenn in Los Angeles.
Today, the pair are back together — in AHL Adirondack — and the reunion has been a positive one for Murray, who gushes about how much Schenn has grown as a player.
“Since I saw him in LA, every part of his game has come along tremendously,” Murray told the Philadelphia Daily News. “He’s physically more mature, mentally more mature. He’s starting to really identify with what his niche is in the game.
“He’s becoming a more complete player.”
Schenn, 21, is having a remarkable season. He leads Adirondack in scoring (22 points in 18 games) and sits third overall in the league. He’s also emerged as Murray’s go-to guy in clutch situations.
Schenn leads the Phantoms in both power-play and shorthanded goals and his recent scoring binge — 11 points in his last seven games — has translated to wins.
Adirondack is 4-3 over those seven games, not bad for a team that only mustered two wins in its first six contests of the season.
“He’s the kind of ‘big-game’ player that coaches love,” Murray said. “I can put him out on the ice in critical situations and know what I’m going to get out of him. He knows when he needs to step up; he knows the critical times and critical situations.
“Not all players recognize that. I’ve always believed the toughest thing in pro sports is to win when you’re supposed to.”
Schenn’s ascension has to be exciting for Flyers fans.
Along with Sean Couturier, he represents the future of Philly’s dynamic young forward group, one that also includes Claude Giroux (24 years old), Wayne Simmonds (23), Matt Read (26) and, eventually, 2012 first-rounder Scott Laughton, who is currently tearing it up with OHL Oshawa.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)