Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Dallas Stars forward Eric Nystrom has been selected as the assistant coach for Team USA in the upcoming 19th World Maccabiah Games, which will be played in Israel in July, according to the Jewish Chronicle.
NHL Network analyst Billy Jaffe will serve as the team’s head coach.
“It’s an exciting day for Maccabi USA to have an NHL player and analyst as the coaching staff for the Open Men’s Ice Hockey Team,” co-chair Devra Schorr said. “Their contribution to the team will elevate the Games as a whole, along with the support of professional players participating in the return of Ice Hockey at the Maccabiah Games.
“The selection of Billy and Eric was not easy, given the significant number of highly qualified applicants for these coveted coaching positions. Many elite players will participate as members of the USA Open Men’s Team due to the appointment of Billy and Eric as coaches.”
Nystrom is joining a growing list of NHLers who have accepted coaching gigs during the lockout. The list includes:
–- Colorado’s Ryan O’Byrne joined the staff of the BCHL’s Victoria Grizzlies. (link)
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)