Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Eric Nystrom has been selected as the assistant coach for Team USA in the upcoming 19th World Maccabiah Games, which will be played in Israel in July, according to the Jewish Chronicle.
NHL Network analyst Billy Jaffe will serve as the team’s head coach.
“It’s an exciting day for Maccabi USA to have an NHL player and analyst as the coaching staff for the Open Men’s Ice Hockey Team,” co-chair Devra Schorr said. “Their contribution to the team will elevate the Games as a whole, along with the support of professional players participating in the return of Ice Hockey at the Maccabiah Games.
“The selection of Billy and Eric was not easy, given the significant number of highly qualified applicants for these coveted coaching positions. Many elite players will participate as members of the USA Open Men’s Team due to the appointment of Billy and Eric as coaches.”
Nystrom is joining a growing list of NHLers who have accepted coaching gigs during the lockout. The list includes:
–- Colorado’s Ryan O’Byrne joined the staff of the BCHL’s Victoria Grizzlies. (link)
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)