Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Dallas Stars forward Eric Nystrom has been selected as the assistant coach for Team USA in the upcoming 19th World Maccabiah Games, which will be played in Israel in July, according to the Jewish Chronicle.
NHL Network analyst Billy Jaffe will serve as the team’s head coach.
“It’s an exciting day for Maccabi USA to have an NHL player and analyst as the coaching staff for the Open Men’s Ice Hockey Team,” co-chair Devra Schorr said. “Their contribution to the team will elevate the Games as a whole, along with the support of professional players participating in the return of Ice Hockey at the Maccabiah Games.
“The selection of Billy and Eric was not easy, given the significant number of highly qualified applicants for these coveted coaching positions. Many elite players will participate as members of the USA Open Men’s Team due to the appointment of Billy and Eric as coaches.”
Nystrom is joining a growing list of NHLers who have accepted coaching gigs during the lockout. The list includes:
–- Colorado’s Ryan O’Byrne joined the staff of the BCHL’s Victoria Grizzlies. (link)
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11