Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Dallas Stars forward Eric Nystrom has been selected as the assistant coach for Team USA in the upcoming 19th World Maccabiah Games, which will be played in Israel in July, according to the Jewish Chronicle.
NHL Network analyst Billy Jaffe will serve as the team’s head coach.
“It’s an exciting day for Maccabi USA to have an NHL player and analyst as the coaching staff for the Open Men’s Ice Hockey Team,” co-chair Devra Schorr said. “Their contribution to the team will elevate the Games as a whole, along with the support of professional players participating in the return of Ice Hockey at the Maccabiah Games.
“The selection of Billy and Eric was not easy, given the significant number of highly qualified applicants for these coveted coaching positions. Many elite players will participate as members of the USA Open Men’s Team due to the appointment of Billy and Eric as coaches.”
Nystrom is joining a growing list of NHLers who have accepted coaching gigs during the lockout. The list includes:
–- Colorado’s Ryan O’Byrne joined the staff of the BCHL’s Victoria Grizzlies. (link)
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4