Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin admitted that he wasn’t sure what to expect when he made the decision to sign with EHC Biel of the Swiss-A League. 21 games later, he gave the league glowing reviews.
“The league is very competitive — the speed and the talent level of the players has surprised me,” Seguin told the Tages-Anzeiger newspaper, according to CSNNE. “The league is very competitive — the speed and the talent level of the players has surprised me. It took me some time and effort to get used to it.”
After that transition period, Seguin caught fire and now has 20 goals and 32 points in 21 contests. That’s more goals than any other NHL player in the Swiss League, which is a list that includes Patrice Bergeron, Rick Nash, John Tavares, Logan Couture, Jason Spezza, and Joe Thornton.
“Scoring goals is never easy; I didn’t do very well at the beginning,” Seguin said. “Now I just hope to continue playing well like I have been lately.”
Seguin is also helping Biel kill penalties, which is something that he that he was almost never asked to do as a member of the Boston Bruins.
Obviously, no one is suggesting that he would have put up identical numbers with the Boston Bruins, but it certainly would have been great to see how he would have performed if it wasn’t for the lockout. Seguin took a giant leap forward last season with 29 goals and 67 points in 81 games.
2012-13 would have been his third full NHL season and Bruins fans might have watched Seguin establish himself among the NHL elite.
Of course, the season isn’t entirely lost yet. If the lockout ends in the not too distant future, Seguin will get a chance to return to Boston and try to help the Bruins win the Stanley Cup for the second time in three years.
May 20, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Washington is moving into a very tough division.
May 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
He had no points and seven fights.
May 20, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Game 3 will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 20, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 20, 2013, 1:56 AM EDT
Had success as a QMJHL coach in Quebec.
May 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
That close to going up 3-0.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
May 20, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
May 19, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Ottawa back in the series.
May 19, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Looked like a minor penalty. Went undetected.
May 19, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Tried to sell it. Didn’t work.
May 19, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh with the lead after two periods.
May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Big hit. Appeared clean, too.
May 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Torres suspended for remainder of semifinal series.
May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Needs to be better for Game 3.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 2
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 2
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 32
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 36
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot