Nov 29, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
David Courtney, who was the Public Address Announcer for the Los Angeles Kings for 25 seasons, has tragically passed away.
At various times, Courtney also served as the announcer of the Houston Rockets, USFL Gamblers, Pac-10 basketball tournament, USC football, UCLA basketball, as well as the Raiders, Lakers, and Dodgers. He also shared the announcing duties for the Houston Astros at one point.
In his lifetime, he covered both the Stanley Cup finals and World Series.
“David was tremendously passionate about the Kings, our fans and the game of hockey,” said Kings President Luc Robitaille, in a report from Mayor’s Manor. “His time with the Kings dates back to the mid 1970s both in our PR office as our public relations director and also with work he did in our video department before he took over full-time Public Announcing duties at the Forum and STAPLES Center.
“In the arena he was an institution – he was the voice of the Kings – and his work added so much to the live, in-game experience for our fans as it did for the Clippers and Angels as well. Next season would have been David’ 35th year with our franchise, and on behalf of the entire Kings organization and AEG we are incredibly saddened by this news and we send our deepest condolences to his wife Janet and the rest of the Courtney family.”
(Photo courtesy of the Kings’ official website.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)