Nov 29, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
David Courtney, who was the Public Address Announcer for the Los Angeles Kings for 25 seasons, has tragically passed away.
At various times, Courtney also served as the announcer of the Houston Rockets, USFL Gamblers, Pac-10 basketball tournament, USC football, UCLA basketball, as well as the Raiders, Lakers, and Dodgers. He also shared the announcing duties for the Houston Astros at one point.
In his lifetime, he covered both the Stanley Cup finals and World Series.
“David was tremendously passionate about the Kings, our fans and the game of hockey,” said Kings President Luc Robitaille, in a report from Mayor’s Manor. “His time with the Kings dates back to the mid 1970s both in our PR office as our public relations director and also with work he did in our video department before he took over full-time Public Announcing duties at the Forum and STAPLES Center.
“In the arena he was an institution – he was the voice of the Kings – and his work added so much to the live, in-game experience for our fans as it did for the Clippers and Angels as well. Next season would have been David’ 35th year with our franchise, and on behalf of the entire Kings organization and AEG we are incredibly saddened by this news and we send our deepest condolences to his wife Janet and the rest of the Courtney family.”
(Photo courtesy of the Kings’ official website.)
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 12
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 41
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)