Nov 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
When incoming Glendale mayor Jerry Weiers was elected earlier this month, he had a stern message for the Phoenix Coyotes: “Glendale is not your cash register.”
At the time, the Coyotes’ 20-year, $320 million lease (that’s money going to the tenant, not the traditional other way around) had yet to be approved by city council.
That changed Tuesday when the deal was given the green light, leaving Weiers no choice but to see it through when he takes office next year.
“I’m not overly happy with the decision made, but we’ll take that decision and run with it the best we can,” Weiers said, as per CBS 5 News.
“It is what it is, the council, the current council passed it. It’s something I’m going to have to deal with.”
Prospective owner Greg Jamison has yet to close on the purchase from the NHL, but he reportedly has the financing in place to get it done within the next month or two.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 38
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 3
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 72
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination