Nov 29, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Say this about the work stoppage — it might have kickstarted a few coaching careers.
That was the word out of Edmonton on Wednesday as 630 CHED Sports radio host Dan Tencer spoke with Mark Letestu, the Columbus Blue Jackets forward that’s currently serving as an assistant coach with Bonnyville of the Alberta Junior Hockey League.
Letestu, an Alberta native, spent three years playing for Bonnyville before joining Western Michigan University for one season. Pittsburgh signed him as a undrafted free agent in 2007 and, after making his way to the NHL and posting an impressive 2010-11 campaign (14G-13A in 64 games), he was acquired by Columbus last November.
The 27-year-old thrived with the Blue Jackets — scoring 11G-13A-24 points in just 51 games, averaging a career-high 16:15 minutes per game — and now has plenty to offer the Bonnyville team, currently playing in Canada’s second-highest junior hockey tier.
“Hopefully I can [the players] with some of the lessons I had to learn,” Letestu explained. “Some of the trials and tribulations I went through — maybe help them avoid some of them and make their progression a little quicker.”
As mentioned above, Letestu isn’t the only locked-out NHLers to have taken a coaching gig:
– Colorado’s Ryan O’Byrne joined the staff of the BCHL’s Victoria Grizzlies. (link)
In a similar vein, veteran goalie Dwayne Roloson was reportedly offered the goaile coaching gig in Toronto, but turned it down to continue his playing career.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)