Nov 28, 2012, 10:45 PM EST
Hockey Hall of Famer Ted Lindsay is the man behind the start of the NHLPA in the 1950s. He’s also the guy who wants today’s players to knock it off with the insults to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
The former Red Wings great told Jimmy Murphy of ESPNBoston.com that he’s tired of seeing the commissioner getting ripped by the players for doing what he’s paid to do.
“One thing that really has bothered me when I’m reading the paper on all of this is the way they’re talking about ‘that idiot Bettman’, or any of the other stupid adjectives they’ve used to describe him,” said Lindsay, 87. “They and the fans and the media need to realize that Bettman is doing his job and fulfilling his responsibility to the owners, just like (NHLPA executive director) Don (Fehr) is to the players. The players need to respect and understand that. Don’t go bad-mouthing Bettman like that.”
The number of players who have slagged Bettman either in interviews or via Twitter have been a disappointing side story thanks to the lockout. Being frustrated is one thing, to resort to insults somehow makes the whole situation seem worse.
The players would be wise to listen to Lindsay because he knows all too well what it’s like to be hammered on for being a labor leader.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (127)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)