Nov 28, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
They haven’t made the playoffs since before the last lockout, but the Toronto Maple Leafs are still worth a cool $1 billion, according to the newest Forbes valuations.
The Leafs’ valuation is by far the highest of all 30 NHL franchises, and it dwarfs the dollar figure assigned to the least valuable clubs.
After the Leafs, it’s the New York Rangers ($750 million), Montreal Canadiens ($575 million), Chicago Blackhawks ($350 million), and Boston Bruins ($348 million).
At the bottom end, the St. Louis Blues are the least valuable franchise at $130 million, slightly lower than the Phoenix Coyotes ($134 million) and Columbus Blue Jackets ($145 million).
It should be noted that in cases like the Blues, Forbes was able to use actual recent sale prices to determine value. For teams like the Bruins (Jeremy Jacobs has owned the B’s since 1975), valuations are estimates.
A few notes:
—- The Leafs are worth almost eight times more than the Blues. That’s a massive discrepancy compared to the NFL, where Forbes values the most valuable Dallas Cowboys ($2.1 billion) at just 2.7 times more than No. 32 Jacksonville ($770 million).*
—- Forbes estimates that 17 NHL teams are profitable, led by the Leafs with annual operating income of $81.9 million. League-wide earnings were pegged at $250 million, a number the league would likely dispute as too high.
—- The average franchise value is around $282 million. The average Canadian franchise value is around $400 million.
—- Winnipeg is the least valuable Canadian franchise at $200 million (No. 20).
—- Of the 10 least valuable franchises, six of them are in markets where it very rarely snows. (And we’re not talking about Vancouver.)
—- The brand value Forbes assigns to the Coyotes is $13 million. For the Leafs, it’s $154 million.
* The great equalizer in the NFL is national TV money, which is in the neighborhood of $3 billion per year and divided evenly among all franchises. The NHL is far more dependent on ticket sales and local broadcasting revenue. Thus, the NHLPA’s push for more revenue-sharing between franchises.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
Columbus and Dallas host playoff games for first time in years.
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 9
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 19
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 40
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 64
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (101)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)