Nov 28, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
They haven’t made the playoffs since before the last lockout, but the Toronto Maple Leafs are still worth a cool $1 billion, according to the newest Forbes valuations.
The Leafs’ valuation is by far the highest of all 30 NHL franchises, and it dwarfs the dollar figure assigned to the least valuable clubs.
After the Leafs, it’s the New York Rangers ($750 million), Montreal Canadiens ($575 million), Chicago Blackhawks ($350 million), and Boston Bruins ($348 million).
At the bottom end, the St. Louis Blues are the least valuable franchise at $130 million, slightly lower than the Phoenix Coyotes ($134 million) and Columbus Blue Jackets ($145 million).
It should be noted that in cases like the Blues, Forbes was able to use actual recent sale prices to determine value. For teams like the Bruins (Jeremy Jacobs has owned the B’s since 1975), valuations are estimates.
A few notes:
—- The Leafs are worth almost eight times more than the Blues. That’s a massive discrepancy compared to the NFL, where Forbes values the most valuable Dallas Cowboys ($2.1 billion) at just 2.7 times more than No. 32 Jacksonville ($770 million).*
—- Forbes estimates that 17 NHL teams are profitable, led by the Leafs with annual operating income of $81.9 million. League-wide earnings were pegged at $250 million, a number the league would likely dispute as too high.
—- The average franchise value is around $282 million. The average Canadian franchise value is around $400 million.
—- Winnipeg is the least valuable Canadian franchise at $200 million (No. 20).
—- Of the 10 least valuable franchises, six of them are in markets where it very rarely snows. (And we’re not talking about Vancouver.)
—- The brand value Forbes assigns to the Coyotes is $13 million. For the Leafs, it’s $154 million.
* The great equalizer in the NFL is national TV money, which is in the neighborhood of $3 billion per year and divided evenly among all franchises. The NHL is far more dependent on ticket sales and local broadcasting revenue. Thus, the NHLPA’s push for more revenue-sharing between franchises.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 14
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)