Nov 28, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
You might want to file away the name Darnell Nurse for future reference.
The Sault Ste. Marie defenseman featured prominently in NHL Central Scouting’s 2013 preliminary draft rankings — Nurse came in as the OHL’s top-ranked blueliner and the second best skater in the league, behind Ottawa forward Sean Monahan.
The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Nurse credits his parents for teaching the importance of training and staying fit, and cites his uncle as a major influence in his life.
That uncle would be Donovan McNabb, the six-time Pro Bowl QB.
“My uncle has always been there for me,” Nurse told NHL.com. “No matter if I had a question being away from home for the first time, or working out over the summer.
“He’s been someone I’ve always been able to reach out to … he’s a big person in my life.”
Speaking of big, it’s Nurse’s size that has scouts excited about his potential — and has many drawing comparisons to Philadelphia Flyers blueliner Chris Pronger.
NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards made the Pronger comparison and said Nurse’s ability to skate well and play physical are big reasons why.
“Anytime you get a guy his size, who skates as well as [Nurse] does and plays a physical game, it’s fun to watch,” Edwards said. “In the one game at Guelph, I saw him fight twice and he did very well in both. The fights happened while both players were going for the puck and they just got into it. He handles himself very well.
“I like everything about this guy, and defensemen like him are hard to find.”
(Image courtesy Soogreyhounds.com.)
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)