Nov 28, 2012, 4:49 PM EST
On Wednesday, the Canadian Hockey League announced the captains, alternates, rosters and coaches for its annual NHL Top Prospects Game — and judging by the names involved, it promises to be a stellar affair.
CBC Hockey Night in Canada’s Don Cherry will coach Team Cherry while longtime NHLer and Stanley Cup champion Mike McPhee will coach Team Orr, with both inheriting one of the top two prospects for the 2013 NHL Draft.
Cherry will get Nathan MacKinnon, the Halifax Mooseheads center that’s tearing up the Quebec League this season with 43 points in 25 games.
McPhee will get Seth Jones, the Portland Winterhawks defenseman who has 17 points in 24 WHL games this year.
McKinnon and Jones will captain their respective squads in what’s traditionally been an important showcase for draft-eligible players.
Since the Top Prospects Game was introduced in 1996, 10 participants have been chosen first overall in the NHL Draft: Chris Phillips, Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Rick Nash, Marc-Andre Fleury, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
It’s widely believed that either Jones or MacKinnon will go first overall in 2013.
That said, this game is not all about those two. A number of players that featured prominently in the Central Scouting draft rankings have also been selected to play — Darnell Nurse and Jonathan Drouin, two of the top-ranked skaters in the OHL and QMJHL, will serve as alternate captains for Team Cherry.
Sean Monahan and Hunter Shinkaruk — The No. 1 and No. 2 ranked skaters in the WHL and OHL respectively — will be the alternates for Team Orr.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)