Nov 28, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com managed to turn a few heads today with his column pointing the finger at Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs for his role in the lockout.
In it he shared a story detailing how Jacobs bullied members of the Winnipeg Jets organization during a Board of Governors meeting for being the new guys in town. That story is now being denied by both the league and the Jets.
Haggerty, meanwhile, holds his ground saying, via Twitter: “Duly noted. I stand by my reporting.”
This is the second time in the past month the league has come out and vehemently denied a story involving an NHL owner.
A couple of weeks ago, it was Flyers owner Ed Snider who was reported to disagree with how the lockout was proceeding and wanted to see it ended soon. That was quickly denied by Snider himself saying he supports Commissioner Gary Bettman and was followed up by Bettman himself calling the report a “fabrication.”
UPDATE (7:35 p.m. ET): Jets owner Mark Chipman released a statement, shared here at CSNNE.com:
“I was disappointed to learn today of a report which claimed an exchange took place between an Alternate Governor of the Winnipeg Jets and Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins at a recent NHL Board of Governors meeting. I was present throughout all BOG proceedings and can categorically state that no such exchange between Mr. Jacobs and either one of our Alternate Governors – Patrick Phillips or Kevin Cheveldayoff – ever took place. Any suggestion otherwise is completely false.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 10
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 23
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 22
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)