Nov 28, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com managed to turn a few heads today with his column pointing the finger at Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs for his role in the lockout.
In it he shared a story detailing how Jacobs bullied members of the Winnipeg Jets organization during a Board of Governors meeting for being the new guys in town. That story is now being denied by both the league and the Jets.
Haggerty, meanwhile, holds his ground saying, via Twitter: “Duly noted. I stand by my reporting.”
This is the second time in the past month the league has come out and vehemently denied a story involving an NHL owner.
A couple of weeks ago, it was Flyers owner Ed Snider who was reported to disagree with how the lockout was proceeding and wanted to see it ended soon. That was quickly denied by Snider himself saying he supports Commissioner Gary Bettman and was followed up by Bettman himself calling the report a “fabrication.”
UPDATE (7:35 p.m. ET): Jets owner Mark Chipman released a statement, shared here at CSNNE.com:
“I was disappointed to learn today of a report which claimed an exchange took place between an Alternate Governor of the Winnipeg Jets and Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins at a recent NHL Board of Governors meeting. I was present throughout all BOG proceedings and can categorically state that no such exchange between Mr. Jacobs and either one of our Alternate Governors – Patrick Phillips or Kevin Cheveldayoff – ever took place. Any suggestion otherwise is completely false.”
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)