Nov 28, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
The desert has been a hotbed of hockey activity lately.
On Tuesday, prospective owner Greg Jamison moved one huge, crucial step closer to buying the Phoenix Coyotes and, that same day, a collection of locked-out NHLers descended on Scottsdale for an impromptu camp.
Here’s more, from the Arizona Republic:
The Ice Den in Scottsdale has been the lockout destination for many Coyotes players, but now they’ve recruited some of their peers from around the league to participate in training sessions this week.
About 30 players are practicing and scrimmaging against each other. Only a handful of players will skate on Wednesday, but the entire group — which has been split up into two teams — will be back on the ice Thursday and Friday. Penguins star Sidney Crosby is expected to join the skates at the end of the week.
“Word’s getting out it’s a pretty good spot to be during this time,” Coyotes captain Shane Doan said.
As far as informal skates go, the Scottsdale one is pretty good.
Of all the players in attendance, Crosby is (unsurprisingly) the one receiving the most attention — though it’s not just due to his star power.
Talks of Crosby possibly jumping to Europe have been rampant, with some suggesting his involvement in the Scottsdale camp is a warmup to playing in Russia or, potentially, the Swiss league.
“Sidney is seriously looking at his options in Europe,” Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, told ESPN.com on Tuesday. “He needs and wants to play hockey. It will be difficult to go all year without playing after what he’s gone through the last two years.
“Over the next few days I’m going to make more calls and continue to explore Sidney’s options.”
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Originally out 4-6 weeks, he’s back in just over three.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
But how much public money will be required?
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Two teams headed down different paths?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
He missed the last three games with an upper-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
It’s a question that could decide a playoff spot or two.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
Tough start to the season for the veteran defenseman.
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 5
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)