Nov 28, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
The desert has been a hotbed of hockey activity lately.
On Tuesday, prospective owner Greg Jamison moved one huge, crucial step closer to buying the Phoenix Coyotes and, that same day, a collection of locked-out NHLers descended on Scottsdale for an impromptu camp.
Here’s more, from the Arizona Republic:
The Ice Den in Scottsdale has been the lockout destination for many Coyotes players, but now they’ve recruited some of their peers from around the league to participate in training sessions this week.
About 30 players are practicing and scrimmaging against each other. Only a handful of players will skate on Wednesday, but the entire group — which has been split up into two teams — will be back on the ice Thursday and Friday. Penguins star Sidney Crosby is expected to join the skates at the end of the week.
“Word’s getting out it’s a pretty good spot to be during this time,” Coyotes captain Shane Doan said.
As far as informal skates go, the Scottsdale one is pretty good.
Of all the players in attendance, Crosby is (unsurprisingly) the one receiving the most attention — though it’s not just due to his star power.
Talks of Crosby possibly jumping to Europe have been rampant, with some suggesting his involvement in the Scottsdale camp is a warmup to playing in Russia or, potentially, the Swiss league.
“Sidney is seriously looking at his options in Europe,” Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, told ESPN.com on Tuesday. “He needs and wants to play hockey. It will be difficult to go all year without playing after what he’s gone through the last two years.
“Over the next few days I’m going to make more calls and continue to explore Sidney’s options.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)