Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 AM EST
The move, while rumored for weeks, is certainly interesting from a players’ union perspective.
Schneider, 26, is Vancouver’s NHLPA rep and has been candidly outspoken about the current work stoppage:
Adding to the surprise? Two weeks ago, Schneider had also reportedly “given up” on playing in Europe and seemed committed to sticking in North American until a new CBA had been reached.
Now it appears that’s no longer the case.
The former Boston College standout — who holds both U.S. and Swiss citizenship — will join an Ambri-Piotta side that’s had mixed results with NHL imports.
Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty played just five games for the struggling club before abruptly returning to North America, yet ex-NHLers Jason Williams and Richard Park have been revelations for the team — Williams leads all scorere with 20 points while Park sits in fourth, with 15.
Schneider is coming off his best year in Vancouver that saw him post career-highs across the board: 33 games, 20-8-1 record, .937 save percentage and 1.96 GAA.
He supplanted longtime No. 1 goalie Roberto Luongo in an opening-round playoff loss to Los Angeles and proceeded to sign a three-year, $12 million extension with the club in June.
Update: The Province’s Ben Kuzma sheds some light on Schneider’s thought process for signing overseas…
Schneider just prior to Swiss decision: “Two months in [lockout] and at some point I really want to play — here or abroad — and stay sharp.”
— Ben Kuzma (@benkuzma) November 28, 2012
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 0
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 2
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)