Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
The move, while rumored for weeks, is certainly interesting from a players’ union perspective.
Schneider, 26, is Vancouver’s NHLPA rep and has been candidly outspoken about the current work stoppage:
Adding to the surprise? Two weeks ago, Schneider had also reportedly “given up” on playing in Europe and seemed committed to sticking in North American until a new CBA had been reached.
Now it appears that’s no longer the case.
The former Boston College standout — who holds both U.S. and Swiss citizenship — will join an Ambri-Piotta side that’s had mixed results with NHL imports.
Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty played just five games for the struggling club before abruptly returning to North America, yet ex-NHLers Jason Williams and Richard Park have been revelations for the team — Williams leads all scorere with 20 points while Park sits in fourth, with 15.
Schneider is coming off his best year in Vancouver that saw him post career-highs across the board: 33 games, 20-8-1 record, .937 save percentage and 1.96 GAA.
He supplanted longtime No. 1 goalie Roberto Luongo in an opening-round playoff loss to Los Angeles and proceeded to sign a three-year, $12 million extension with the club in June.
Update: The Province’s Ben Kuzma sheds some light on Schneider’s thought process for signing overseas…
Schneider just prior to Swiss decision: “Two months in [lockout] and at some point I really want to play — here or abroad — and stay sharp.”
— Ben Kuzma (@benkuzma) November 28, 2012
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal