Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Blue Jackets can’t catch a break.
That was the word out of Columbus on Tuesday as it was learned Ryan Murray, taken No. 2 at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, will undergo shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum.
According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, Murray will have the surgery in 2-3 weeks and likely be out for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. The Blue Jackets have also released a statement confirming the surgery, saying Murray’s recovery period will be approximately six months.
Murray hurt his shoulder playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16. The talented defenseman tried to break his fall after a hit during a game against the Victoria Royals when the injury occurred.
Despite being just 19 years old, Murray was seen as a strong contender to make the Columbus roster this season. He had 17 points through 23 WHL games and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
He was also a virtual lock to make Team Canada for the upcoming World Junior tournament and, looking forward, probably would’ve been in line to play in his second consecutive World Hockey Championships.
This past spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)