Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Blue Jackets can’t catch a break.
That was the word out of Columbus on Tuesday as it was learned Ryan Murray, taken No. 2 at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, will undergo shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum.
According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, Murray will have the surgery in 2-3 weeks and likely be out for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. The Blue Jackets have also released a statement confirming the surgery, saying Murray’s recovery period will be approximately six months.
Murray hurt his shoulder playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16. The talented defenseman tried to break his fall after a hit during a game against the Victoria Royals when the injury occurred.
Despite being just 19 years old, Murray was seen as a strong contender to make the Columbus roster this season. He had 17 points through 23 WHL games and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
He was also a virtual lock to make Team Canada for the upcoming World Junior tournament and, looking forward, probably would’ve been in line to play in his second consecutive World Hockey Championships.
This past spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)