Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Blue Jackets can’t catch a break.
That was the word out of Columbus on Tuesday as it was learned Ryan Murray, taken No. 2 at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, will undergo shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum.
According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, Murray will have the surgery in 2-3 weeks and likely be out for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. The Blue Jackets have also released a statement confirming the surgery, saying Murray’s recovery period will be approximately six months.
Murray hurt his shoulder playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16. The talented defenseman tried to break his fall after a hit during a game against the Victoria Royals when the injury occurred.
Despite being just 19 years old, Murray was seen as a strong contender to make the Columbus roster this season. He had 17 points through 23 WHL games and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
He was also a virtual lock to make Team Canada for the upcoming World Junior tournament and, looking forward, probably would’ve been in line to play in his second consecutive World Hockey Championships.
This past spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)