Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Blue Jackets can’t catch a break.
That was the word out of Columbus on Tuesday as it was learned Ryan Murray, taken No. 2 at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, will undergo shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum.
According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, Murray will have the surgery in 2-3 weeks and likely be out for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. The Blue Jackets have also released a statement confirming the surgery, saying Murray’s recovery period will be approximately six months.
Murray hurt his shoulder playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16. The talented defenseman tried to break his fall after a hit during a game against the Victoria Royals when the injury occurred.
Despite being just 19 years old, Murray was seen as a strong contender to make the Columbus roster this season. He had 17 points through 23 WHL games and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
He was also a virtual lock to make Team Canada for the upcoming World Junior tournament and, looking forward, probably would’ve been in line to play in his second consecutive World Hockey Championships.
This past spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)