Nov 27, 2012, 2:49 PM EDT
Of the 10 major-league teams that saw the largest drop in attendance over the last 10 years, two of them were from the NHL, according to analysis by 24/7 Wall St.
The Dallas Stars (-23.2%) and Columbus Blue Jackets (-19.2%) rank fifth and 10th, respectively, in the rankings.
The Seattle Mariners (-51.4%) top the list, followed by three other MLB teams (Cleveland, Houston, and Arizona).
Not surprisingly, the common theme among all teams is losing.* The Stars have missed the playoffs the last four seasons, while the Blue Jackets have made the postseason just once since coming into the league in 2000.
Obviously, not every city is willing to support a perennial loser like Toronto supports the Maple Leafs.
That said, a team like Dallas, which has at least been competitive the past couple of seasons and made it all the way to the conference finals in 2008, might not have suffered such a precipitous drop in attendance in a more traditional NHL market.
* The Mariners, Astros and Diamondbacks also moved into new stadiums in the last 15 years, and a new stadium is only a novelty for so long.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)