Nov 27, 2012, 1:27 PM EDT
It only took two weeks after the National Basketball Players Association dissolved itself for the NBA’s lockout to end; however, San Antonio Spurs forward Matt Bonner can’t say for certain if the union’s bold move pushed the owners to reach a season-saving deal with the players.
“I think only [NBA commissioner] David Stern and the owners can answer that. I’m sure they never would tell us,” Bonner told the Toronto Star recently. “Obviously it caused the deal to get done pretty soon thereafter. You could argue that helped the process.
“Or you could argue they had a timeline in mind anyway and were going to get a deal no matter what. Or you could argue they were going to push us to that point and squeeze us for every last drop and then cut a deal. I don’t know. They’ll never tell us.”
Despite what happened in basketball, Bonner has a word of warning for NHL players who may be considering decertification as a way to end the hockey lockout:
“It’s hard because it throws everything into chaos. It just adds a huge degree of uncertainty to the situation. It’s a tough decision for the players to make and it’s tough for the owners to deal with. That’s a possible strategy to get the owners to move, to budge.”
Bonner’s take is in line with what Canucks goalie Cory Schneider said on Monday.
“Decertification is not something you do half-heartedly,” Schneider said, as per The Province. “You can’t start to decertify in hopes that you’re going to get a deal done. If it doesn’t, you still have to push forward with it. Once the wheels are in motion, there’s no stopping. It’s a very serious decision and that’s why we’re a little reluctant to charge ahead without thinking.”
May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.
May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
The Ducks might have caught a break there.
May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.
May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.
May 27, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Jordan Weal has been a big part of Manchester’s success.
May 27, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
Chicago’s mixing things up for this must-win game.
May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
She’s previously been warned that this course could lead to her being found in contempt.
May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.
May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
After just one year in Pittsburgh.
May 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
The ladies sure loved that guy.
May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.
May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.
May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.
May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.
May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”
May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”
May 27, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Either way, Kimmo Timonen is likely out.
May 27, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Rangers forward has had issues with it thus far.
May 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Former Panthers and Devils coach will take over a team that missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)