Nov 27, 2012, 1:27 PM EDT
It only took two weeks after the National Basketball Players Association dissolved itself for the NBA’s lockout to end; however, San Antonio Spurs forward Matt Bonner can’t say for certain if the union’s bold move pushed the owners to reach a season-saving deal with the players.
“I think only [NBA commissioner] David Stern and the owners can answer that. I’m sure they never would tell us,” Bonner told the Toronto Star recently. “Obviously it caused the deal to get done pretty soon thereafter. You could argue that helped the process.
“Or you could argue they had a timeline in mind anyway and were going to get a deal no matter what. Or you could argue they were going to push us to that point and squeeze us for every last drop and then cut a deal. I don’t know. They’ll never tell us.”
Despite what happened in basketball, Bonner has a word of warning for NHL players who may be considering decertification as a way to end the hockey lockout:
“It’s hard because it throws everything into chaos. It just adds a huge degree of uncertainty to the situation. It’s a tough decision for the players to make and it’s tough for the owners to deal with. That’s a possible strategy to get the owners to move, to budge.”
Bonner’s take is in line with what Canucks goalie Cory Schneider said on Monday.
“Decertification is not something you do half-heartedly,” Schneider said, as per The Province. “You can’t start to decertify in hopes that you’re going to get a deal done. If it doesn’t, you still have to push forward with it. Once the wheels are in motion, there’s no stopping. It’s a very serious decision and that’s why we’re a little reluctant to charge ahead without thinking.”
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)