Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
It appears Sidney Crosby is closer to playing overseas than ever.
“You know what? It’s a lot more possible right now,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday. “I probably hadn’t thought about it quite as much as I have the past few days.
“It’s definitely been something — with the way things are looking now [with CBA talks], it’s not looking too good.”
According to the Gazette, Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, has been in discussion with teams in the KHL and Switzerland’s National League “A”.
Both have ties to No. 87 — Crosby’s running mate in Pittsburgh, Evgeni Malkin, currently plays for KHL Metallurg while former Penguins Jason Williams and Richard Park are skating with Ambri-Piotta of the Swiss League.
The biggest issue with Crosby playing in Europe is insuring the 12-year, $104.4 million extension signed with Pittsburgh at the end of June. Insurance issues be why the Pens captain has held off on jumping the pond — playing a portion of the season rather than the whole campaign would greatly reduce costs.
Here’s more, from the Gazette:
Brisson could not be reached for comment, but this fall projected that insuring Crosby’s contracts with the Penguins — before the lockout, they were scheduled to pay him $111.9 million over 13 seasons — could cost between $200,000 and $400,000, a fee that likely would be borne by the European club that lands him.
Presumably, that insurance would be pro-rated to reflect Crosby playing less than a full season.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Vancouver looking to avoid elimination for the second straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Zero goals in five playoff games.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
A healthy tally.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Putting on a clinic.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Corey Crawford’s back in.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
The Islanders won 3-1 in Game 6.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
He made his postseason debut in Game 4.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Plenty of life on Long Island.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:48 PM EDT
Apr 25, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Keep this bounce in mind in the third period.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
He’s been ruled out of the series due to a rib injury.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Carlson has his first of the playoffs.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Kudos to the Cambria County War Memorial Arena in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and the Decatur Civic Center in Decatur, Illinois.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He’ll backup for a fourth straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
New York, Nashville and Vancouver are all facing elimination today.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Both were in their first season with the hockey club.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
He helped Russia win gold last year.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Happened on Wednesday in Vancouver.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Bickell and Versteeg swap spots.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 13
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)