Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 AM EST
It appears Sidney Crosby is closer to playing overseas than ever.
“You know what? It’s a lot more possible right now,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday. “I probably hadn’t thought about it quite as much as I have the past few days.
“It’s definitely been something — with the way things are looking now [with CBA talks], it’s not looking too good.”
According to the Gazette, Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, has been in discussion with teams in the KHL and Switzerland’s National League “A”.
Both have ties to No. 87 — Crosby’s running mate in Pittsburgh, Evgeni Malkin, currently plays for KHL Metallurg while former Penguins Jason Williams and Richard Park are skating with Ambri-Piotta of the Swiss League.
The biggest issue with Crosby playing in Europe is insuring the 12-year, $104.4 million extension signed with Pittsburgh at the end of June. Insurance issues be why the Pens captain has held off on jumping the pond — playing a portion of the season rather than the whole campaign would greatly reduce costs.
Here’s more, from the Gazette:
Brisson could not be reached for comment, but this fall projected that insuring Crosby’s contracts with the Penguins — before the lockout, they were scheduled to pay him $111.9 million over 13 seasons — could cost between $200,000 and $400,000, a fee that likely would be borne by the European club that lands him.
Presumably, that insurance would be pro-rated to reflect Crosby playing less than a full season.
Nov 29, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
Buffalo scored the game-winner during the ensuing power play.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:59 PM EST
Alex Pietrangelo had 10 shots on goal, which was almost as much as Edmonton.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Ottawa has a rough schedule ahead of it.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:07 PM EST
The Red Wings have now won three straight contests.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Hope seems like a distant memory.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:11 PM EST
They’ve moved past their disappointing 2013-14 campaign.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
Pittsburgh has been dominant outside of its division.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:16 PM EST
Not his finest moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
He’s also approaching fifth place on the points leaderboard.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:02 PM EST
You don’t see many goals that look like this.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
That’s on top of Johnny Boychuk’s injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)