Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
It appears Sidney Crosby is closer to playing overseas than ever.
“You know what? It’s a lot more possible right now,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday. “I probably hadn’t thought about it quite as much as I have the past few days.
“It’s definitely been something — with the way things are looking now [with CBA talks], it’s not looking too good.”
According to the Gazette, Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, has been in discussion with teams in the KHL and Switzerland’s National League “A”.
Both have ties to No. 87 — Crosby’s running mate in Pittsburgh, Evgeni Malkin, currently plays for KHL Metallurg while former Penguins Jason Williams and Richard Park are skating with Ambri-Piotta of the Swiss League.
The biggest issue with Crosby playing in Europe is insuring the 12-year, $104.4 million extension signed with Pittsburgh at the end of June. Insurance issues be why the Pens captain has held off on jumping the pond — playing a portion of the season rather than the whole campaign would greatly reduce costs.
Here’s more, from the Gazette:
Brisson could not be reached for comment, but this fall projected that insuring Crosby’s contracts with the Penguins — before the lockout, they were scheduled to pay him $111.9 million over 13 seasons — could cost between $200,000 and $400,000, a fee that likely would be borne by the European club that lands him.
Presumably, that insurance would be pro-rated to reflect Crosby playing less than a full season.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Yes, the same Jim Rutherford who was the GM in Carolina for two decades.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
He didn’t want to make his intentions known until he was drafted.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)