Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 AM EST
It appears Sidney Crosby is closer to playing overseas than ever.
“You know what? It’s a lot more possible right now,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday. “I probably hadn’t thought about it quite as much as I have the past few days.
“It’s definitely been something — with the way things are looking now [with CBA talks], it’s not looking too good.”
According to the Gazette, Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, has been in discussion with teams in the KHL and Switzerland’s National League “A”.
Both have ties to No. 87 — Crosby’s running mate in Pittsburgh, Evgeni Malkin, currently plays for KHL Metallurg while former Penguins Jason Williams and Richard Park are skating with Ambri-Piotta of the Swiss League.
The biggest issue with Crosby playing in Europe is insuring the 12-year, $104.4 million extension signed with Pittsburgh at the end of June. Insurance issues be why the Pens captain has held off on jumping the pond — playing a portion of the season rather than the whole campaign would greatly reduce costs.
Here’s more, from the Gazette:
Brisson could not be reached for comment, but this fall projected that insuring Crosby’s contracts with the Penguins — before the lockout, they were scheduled to pay him $111.9 million over 13 seasons — could cost between $200,000 and $400,000, a fee that likely would be borne by the European club that lands him.
Presumably, that insurance would be pro-rated to reflect Crosby playing less than a full season.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
The Calgary defenseman was sidelined since Oct. 21.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
He notched a career-high four points Wednesday.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Head coach Patrick Roy hasn’t been happy with his work.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Detroit sees end of four-game winning streak.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?”
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Hard lines, Team Finland.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Tough blow for the reigning Vezina winner.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:14 PM EST
And as a bonus, their names rhyme.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Neither he nor Michal Handzus will suit up in Minnesota.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
He’s missed the last three games.
Dec 4, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
That picture was not taken today.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
With a special shout-out to Austria’s 1927 European championship team.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
“Frankly, in my mind we’re playing him too much.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)