Nov 27, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
The unfortunate part of the NHL lockout is how it affects those not playing hockey or owning teams.
Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune reports employees of the Minnesota Wild, 200 of them, will be taking a cut in pay and going to a four-day work week because of the now 73-day old lockout. On the upside, no one is losing their job and Wild COO Matt Majka had an interesting way of explaining the cuts.
“Our whole philosophy is we’re all in this together,” Majka said. “We want to keep the staff intact because we still think we can play hockey this year. That’s why we’re announcing no layoffs. It’s an all-for-one thing, and that’s why we’re going to do it this way with everyone feeling it a little bit.”
Working sure beats not working, especially these days, so that’s a good thing. Still, you can’t help but think how workers in Minnesota and at the NHL home offices, where they’ve undergone a similar slash in pay and work time, feel about having all of this happen because of something out of their control.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)