Nov 27, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
The unfortunate part of the NHL lockout is how it affects those not playing hockey or owning teams.
Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune reports employees of the Minnesota Wild, 200 of them, will be taking a cut in pay and going to a four-day work week because of the now 73-day old lockout. On the upside, no one is losing their job and Wild COO Matt Majka had an interesting way of explaining the cuts.
“Our whole philosophy is we’re all in this together,” Majka said. “We want to keep the staff intact because we still think we can play hockey this year. That’s why we’re announcing no layoffs. It’s an all-for-one thing, and that’s why we’re going to do it this way with everyone feeling it a little bit.”
Working sure beats not working, especially these days, so that’s a good thing. Still, you can’t help but think how workers in Minnesota and at the NHL home offices, where they’ve undergone a similar slash in pay and work time, feel about having all of this happen because of something out of their control.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)