Nov 27, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
The unfortunate part of the NHL lockout is how it affects those not playing hockey or owning teams.
Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune reports employees of the Minnesota Wild, 200 of them, will be taking a cut in pay and going to a four-day work week because of the now 73-day old lockout. On the upside, no one is losing their job and Wild COO Matt Majka had an interesting way of explaining the cuts.
“Our whole philosophy is we’re all in this together,” Majka said. “We want to keep the staff intact because we still think we can play hockey this year. That’s why we’re announcing no layoffs. It’s an all-for-one thing, and that’s why we’re going to do it this way with everyone feeling it a little bit.”
Working sure beats not working, especially these days, so that’s a good thing. Still, you can’t help but think how workers in Minnesota and at the NHL home offices, where they’ve undergone a similar slash in pay and work time, feel about having all of this happen because of something out of their control.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)