Nov 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Give the Detroit Red Wings credit — they’re presenting fans the opportunity to watch hockey.
On Wednesday at Detroit’s PB’s Sports Grille, former Wings tough guy Darren McCarty and current play-by-play man Ken Kal will host a viewing party where folks can watch the infamous “Bloody Wednesday” (or, “Fight Night at the Joe”) 1997 regular season game between the Wings and Avs.
The game occurred on Wednesday, Mar. 26, roughly 10 months after Colorado forward Claude Lemieux did this to Detroit’s Kris Draper in the ’96 Western Conference final:
Draper suffered a broken jaw, shattered cheek and orbital bone which required reconstructive surgery — his jaw also ended up being wired shut.
Lemieux received a two-game suspension for the hit, returning to the lineup for Colorado’s eventual Stanley Cup victory.
Following the incident, Colorado and Detroit met three times during the 1996-97 regular season before the infamous March affair, which went a little something like this:
The game was arguably McCarty’s defining moment in a Wings uniform (the argument, of course, is this goal.)
In addition to administering the frontier justice Kal later called “the turning point” of Detroit’s season, McCarty also scored the OT winner on Patrick Roy.
All told, the Red Wings and Avalanche combined to produce nine fights, 11 goals and record 148 penalty minutes in the game.
Fore more info on the viewing party, click here.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)